Hummer: More Green Than Prius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
now is that 80-90mph instantaneous, over a few miles/trip, or over a tank?

megaladon6 said:
now is that 80-90mph instantaneous, over a few miles/trip, or over a tank?

From what I know, as long as you continue to use the extreme hypermiling techniques, you can consistently avg 80+ MPG (in a hybrid type). I think thou, that constant use on the highway that it is a bit less for some reason especially over 50MPH, as it tends to use the engine more. But these hypermilers have the MPG gauges installed, or in the case of the Hybrids as standard equipment, so you can constantly monitor how well you are doing.

1)the prius computer has been proven to be wrong when compared with dividing the miles driven by the actual amount of fuel put into the tank.
2)90mph instantaneous or even for a minute or two is nothing. my tdi shuts off fuel if you're off the gas and it uses almost nothing at low throttle. according to my scangauge i get over 100mpg at times especially at 60mph down a hill.
i have yet to hear a reliable report of over 50mpg in a hybrid, even in city driving which is where they perform best.

I've never driven a Prius, so I can't comment on what I think about how it drives, but I do see one thing clearly around me- the used car lots here in Erie, PA have an abundance of them to choose from, all low mileage. They are also trying to get between $25-27k for the things used. What this tells me is that the car is quickly disliked by quite a few people who buy it, but in turn those who really want it are willing to pay what I think is an incredible rip-off of a price for a subcompact car. If the thing is only rated to go 100k miles before needing major repairs, I don't really see how one could get much of a return on the initial investment even with the great MPG.

If it's a Toyota one wants, I would think that you could buy two new Corollas for the price of one new Prius, have two cars that can easily go 200k miles each or more, and still get decent MPG to boot. Now to me that's thinking "green"- green being money :lol:

-UT-

i can agree i don't think unless you are gonna drive in town practically the whole time i don't know how worth it, it would be to buy a prius. just doesn't seem like it

Well, if it is just a Toyota someone wants, get a Yaris with a 5 speed. It was rated at 35mpg city before the gov't revised it's system, and even now it is rated at 29mpg city ( Prius is rated at 45mpg city). Plus, you CAN buy 2 Yarii for the price of one Pious. You just need to buy the stripped down model. I priced them at $11,500 with A/C and nothing else. It's the cheapest car with A/C you can buy, even cheaper than a Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio.

Most people do not drive enough to make up the additional price of the Pious vs the Yaris if you only count the time you are paying the payments. 16mpg does not equal around $14,000 over a typical 60 month new car loan, as you would probably pay $300 a month more in higher payments. Even someone like me who drives 3,000 miles a month could not justify the purchase of a Pious vs a Yaris based on purely fiscal reasons. I spend around $550 a month on gas with a 20mpg truck. The Pious would save me about $308 a month in fuel vs my truck. The Yaris would save me $172 a month vs the truck. I calculated this based on $3.70 a gallon, which is what I paid this week. Now, that means the Prius is only worth $136 a month to me, and I deliver pizza for a living! My payment on a Yaris would be around $250 a month at the $11,500 price, so the Pious would easily add $300 on top of that, making it $164 more expensive to drive every month. Most people do not average 100 miles a day, every day of the month like I do, so their real savings would be even less. The benefits do not outweigh the cost. Add to that the high cost of repairs on hybrids, and it makes even less sense.

However, the Pious makes sense in one way: It's a fashion statement. It says "I am more green than you, you worthless piece of regular car driving garbage!". This is the real selling point of the Pious: It allows you to look down on other motorists and have a holier than thou attitude. If it was just about fuel savings, the Civic Hybrid would sell just as well as the Pious. It doesn't because it is not easily identifiable as a "green" product. So, it is not fashionable even though it is just as efficient and practical.

somebody did the math when the prius first came out. if person A buys a prius and person B buys a corolla s. it will be a minimum of 5 years before person A actually saves money, and that's not counting maintenance. and the prius needs a lot of maintenance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor