I Cant Burn Rubber!! WTF!! Posi 3.08's

Status
Not open for further replies.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Also check to make sure you have 12 volts going to the choke or it won't work correctly causing it to flood, because it will want to stay closed.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
crotchss said:
Also check to make sure you have 12 volts going to the choke or it won't work correctly causing it to flood, because it will want to stay closed.

Will do, i have a mulimeter that i can ck that... I personaally think there something wrong with carb..

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'll agree with the guys who said too tall gearing / not enough converter / too tall tires. You just don't have the right combination. Don't blame the carb yet. It's doing the best it can. Vacuum secondary Holleys don't just flop open (and you don't want them too), they need to gain some RPM to build the vacuum necessary to pull them open. If you're lugging it, it can't build that vacuum. I'll bet if you had "normal" sized tires on there it'd spin 'em. You'll need to match the converter to the cam. Play with this calculator to select the proper gearing: http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Ok driven grea info: But turning on the malibu today i noticed some grinding and whinning at the distrubutor, i was like WTF!! I took the cap off and ever thing lookes good.. I said **** it getting a new rotor, i did notice that the metal that curves was bent upwards, as for the no rotor the gold metal piece was bent forward... After i changed it the noise went away and test drove.. Felt real difference performance wise.. Felt good.. I tuned the carb and off i go.. But havent tired to burn rubber yet... At bro in laws shop gonna ck the timing.. Do u think the rotor had something to do with it not getting spark?

47CB05EC-D77F-4056-B331-F5F6970568DB-2291-00000180BD45EE5F_zps66354bdd.jpg

90B9DBB4-7849-4390-9BD8-513E6109FDD9-2291-00000180C51A538F_zpsae3f17c2.jpg

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Saint, I'm not sure what the stall is on that converter. I wanna say its in the 1800-2000 range. I looked thru the paperwork I had from the previous owner that had the transmission rebuilt and stall purchase. Nothing. But when I had the trans/tc setup in the Elco, I'd do burnout all day with the stock 305 and those big heavy *ss irocs.. When I swapped back to stocks I would chirp 1st and second with that shift kit. I don't know bruh. A lot of good advice/tips in here. ?? Where you "burning rubber" with the th350 setup? I know a new motor is nice but start small. Could just be a simple prob.

Elco Warren 8)
80z :twisted:

Nov 4, 2012
My guess would have to be the converter/ too tall tires. For some odd reason, in my bone stock regal, 3.8 dualjet v6 w/o turbo, with crappy th200 and crappy 2.41 non-posi, I can do a burnout relatively easily. I don't know.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Hey saint these guys are some very things to check....but like warren said...did u do burnouts before the transmission swap. I would definitely start small with the ignition amd fuel/carb setup...

Most of these guys are against big wheels so some of the recomendations jump straight to the converter may be biased... most of the tired smog dressed 305s can burn rubber with deuces...I witnesed many...lol

Mikes84GP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2012
Maryland
Some 4.10's would do wonders. With those 22's your gearing would probably be in the neighborhood of a car with 3.73's and a relatively mild wheel and tire combo.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
OK OK OK!! What a long day, glad im on vacation were i can take care of this sh*t!! LoL..

So off i go to bro in laws shop to check timing and carb after i fixed the rotor cap...

WELL MY TIMING WAS OFF!! :wtf: Timing was @ 5 degrees :blam: 350 stock is 8-10 degrees...and as we all know u need to advance ur timing 2 degrees with high performance parts, so we started off at 10 and gave it a try.. It did burn rubber but was still sluggish!! We Put it at 12degrees AND WOWOWOWOWOWOOW PICKED UP QUICK!! malibu was turning sideways and was putting on a show!!

My bro in law still felt like it could pick up alittle better and said that the secondary floats in the back if holley 600cfm carb wasent working correctly!! So there i go back on the other side of town to carb guy... And of course the carb guy said all was workig well.. But did mention to me that my 350 sounds healthy and if i really wanted to do burn outs and pick up faster i would need a holley 650cfm double pump carb to do the job, carb guy also mentioned that the 600 cfm holley wont harm the 350, its a daily driver carb and will be good on gas, but if i wanted to go all out i needed more gas flow to get them tires turning... Makes since..

Back to my bro in laws shop where we left it 10 degrees and put back to 12 degrees and feels and sounds good to me, lmao but my bro in law still wants me to get that 650 holley double pump carb to really put in work.

I was going to do a video, but my wife didnt want to come out side and my oldest son was sleeping :blam: ...

Felt real good to burn rubber.. Had a big smile on my face.. And yea warren i was churpping in first and second at 12 degrees timed... Guess i need a bigger carb?

BEAF01CA-3D6D-489C-A866-41CBDDD92BEE-2291-00000199DCD17DB4_zpsdcff907f.jpg

92F0A3F0-F702-4515-B590-73B2A683A498-2291-00000199D5724436_zpsbc078403.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor