I finally got my Blazer spindles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
I went to the local Pull-A-Part to get a fuel pump for a Kia Optima and came home with a pair of spindles off a 98 Blazer. Aside from not having the wrench needed to get the nuts loose on the ball joints (I used arc joint pliers then had my wife get my big wrenches since the last one wouldn't budge) everything went pretty smoothly as far as removal goes. I took everything except the rotors as they looked too far gone to turn. For some reason the driver side spindle was missing the dust shield but the passenger side still had one so I need to get a driver side dust shield but not a big deal. The hubs turned well and didn't feel rough but they looked as old as the vehicle so I'll probably replace them when I put the spindles on my car. I forgot to unbolt the hubs before I removed the spindles so now I have quite a chore ahead of me.

For now I'll use the original calipers and later on get the brackets for bigger rotors. The 20 dollar ball joint separator I got from Oreilly Auto worked very well and was well worth the money spent to get it. For the spindles, hubs, PABs and calipers I paid a total of 93 bucks and change. I was going to get some LS1 calipers while I was there but I was too exhausted. They also had 2 sets of LS1 rear brakes too. Also found some F41 frame braces on a Regal and some serpentine accessory systems in some b-bodies, f-bodies, plenty to be had. I even found 2 Astro Van steering shafts.

Now I have the unenviable task of cleaning these crusty calipers and spindles and get the hubs off. The 1 dust shield I did get is in excellent condition, hardly any rust but plenty of caked on baked on brake dust. I'm getting the driver side dust shield some time later, I'm not paying an outrageous price for dust shield delete shims. I'll probably get it after the Kia gets fixed later this week.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
Yeah, that's the only downside to these spindles, the hubs are expensive, the good ones. From what I understand even using the blazer calipers is an improvement over the stock brakes on our cars. I'm looking to use 12" or 13.4" rotors at a later date but I'll see how the stock Blazer set up works and consider my options a bit more. The cost just to use the stock setup is very reasonable and upgrading isn't too expensive but can add to the final cost considerably depending what you use to upgrade with. I'm figuring on using LS1 calipers to keep the costs a little lower, I just want better brakes to keep up with the cars that are coming out with better brakes these days. I drove my mother in law's Ford Fusion and the brakes are excellent. That thing can just about stop on a dime and I know my car would probably ram into hers in an emergency stop so better brakes are needed.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
V8 Rumble said:
That is a great score!
x2 I got lucky when I found my set, only 2 wheel drive Blazer in the yard and have not seen one since.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
I see 2WD Blazers about 1 for ever 4 or so 4x4's but usually the spindles are gone by the time I get to them. I looked at 6 or 7 before i found this 98 and didn't even look at half the GM section the yard had so I didn't bother looking for any more. I might go back and get more to have a spare set. I always like to have extras of everything I can get usually and the spindles alone (no hubs PABs or calipers) are only 50 bucks a pair so the price is right to have an extra set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor