i hate control arm bushings!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
had to share my misery. i'm finally working on the monte. getting the rear control arms, shocks,springs,x-member, and exhaust ripped out and upgraded. everything was actually coming out easy, even the rusted *ss shocks. :D
then i tried to pull out the LCA's. the frame side went like butter, then the axle side...dead f#$%ing stop. 8ft breaker bar and it still wont turn!! and this is after 4 days of soaking in PB blaster. :evil: finally get the nut off of one and of course the bolt is rusted to the sleeve. :blam: i still don't know how i'm gonna get them out. i've cut the head off the bolt and tried driving it out with a hammer and punch, nada.
i think i spent 2 hours pulling everything else, and 4 hours trying to pull the one damn bolt! hopefully my brother has an oxy-acetelyne torch in storage, i'll just cut the friggin' things out.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
has anyone replaced the UCA bushings in the axle ears? any tips?

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
when you work on getting that bolt out, get everything red hot, and rub a stick of a candle or some other kind of wax, the wax will get sucked in all around the bolt and should come out, if it still is being stupid, then get a air hammer with a blunt bit on it and use that to pop it out. hope this helps, i know how frustrating this can be, remember its ok to throw your tools, that is the main reason they have warranty's

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
unfortunately i'm doing this all by hand, no air compressor. that trick with the wax looks interesting, does the wax get sucked all the way through the sleeve? i'd try it if i had a good enough torch, with the proper head. MAPP gas just isn't hot enough. i found out that we do have an o/a torch with a cutting head, just needs acetylene. so later this week i'll just cut through the middle.
somehow i actually managed to keep from throwing my tools, so far anyway :lol: it may just be that it's hard to get a good swing when the car is only a foot off the ground. :)

7d8ss

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2007
Lexington, Ohio
For the ones on the rear housing, try a balljoint press. Looks like a big "C" clamp. Not easy , but effective. - Jon

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
that's what i figured, i'll see if i can borrow my brothers or make my own.
i'm starting to miss working at a shop.

7d8ss

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2007
Lexington, Ohio
I think you can do that "rent" thing from auto zone or some of the other popular auto suppliers. - Jon

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
yup 50 bucks to rent one, they work good too. and if you want to own it, just dont take it back!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
well autozone f^&ked up and got 1 correct bushing and one wrong one, is anybody surprised? of course i only checked one at the store since both numbers matched. boy was i surprised when i got home! oh well, they can wait.
the good news it i actually got the goddamned control arm out!! i drilled the bolt/sleeve down a bit, then pulled out the dremel with a cutting bit to edge of the sleeve down, hacksawed the other end flush with the mount and with a LOT of hammering and prying i got the arm to twist and come out :D :D the bushing was so toasted from me trying to heat things up that it fell out of the arm!
now i'm trying to mock up the exhaust. more fun! :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor