I need a drive shaft!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
My Cutlass is just about finished; the only things I need are exhaust and a driveshaft. I have to have the car completed by June 4th so as to drive it home from school where I have been working on it. The car is an 86' Cutlass Supreme 2 door with 307, 700r4, and 7.5" 10-bolt. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED. :mrgreen:

I've checked local junkyards with no luck... (god I wish I had a pull-apart junkyard around here) I've also checked around everywhere I can think of where I've seen a direlect cutlass... there arn't many; and I haven't found a shaft yet.

If you're not local, it would have to be shipped...

Grab a stock driveshaft from any G-Body with a th 350 transmission-then get it cut 3" is all.......What you need is 49 1/2 inches from center of U joint to center of U Joint.

Go to a driveshaft shop/driveline shop and have it shortened. They give you a chart, mark on the driveshaft to wear it needs cut and then balance it. I did this when I put in 700R4 too. Luckily same shaft works for a 5 speed.

just my $0.02 but I just priced this out when I was looking at the 700r4 swap.

Take my stock rusty 200r driveshaft to Cut, balance + new ujoints was $120.00.

BN driveshaft with heavy caps and new ujoints was $350.00.

I was leaning heavy towards a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor