I need help in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I don't know if they will pass a Fed emissions packaged car in CA? CA got special stricter CA emission packages. In 1980 CA cars were all computer controlled while the Feds still allowed non computer controlled engines, so its a big difference between the two emission packages that year.
Generally a Fed car is fine IF it has all the smog equipment it had from the factory AND it passes the CA tailpipe test. That's an interesting point about the computer, though. The rules are different for a Fed car being brought into the state, than for an engine swap into a CA car. You would definitely NOT be allowed to swap a 1980 Fed motor with no computer into a 1980 CA car that had a computer. Beyond that, don't talk to me! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
If it’s there but hard to read you can try carefully to take a scotchbrite pad and clean it( I did it on my ElCamino). Also/or it you can dampen it the number might show better (have done it on fender tags).
If you haven’t yet, look under the bottom of the rear seat and see if your lucky enough to find the build sheet! Dixie Restoration, Mike’s Montes, SS396.com, Ecklers and a few more may have some of the stickers. Also check Hemmings motor news. A lot of people forget about them and it can be bought in book form.
Check with a GOOD and Reputable body shop for some answers.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Ok maybe that’s why I don’t have a spid. If you feel comfortable enough, can you message me who makes the door sticker? I have a graphics guy but it might be less time consuming to use someone who does it all day and can get it done. Also I did find a company on like who can make the dash vin. Do I just need to pull the dash out the car?
Unfortunately GM you need to pull the windshield I think. And you are supposed to have a special type of rivit but you can buy them due to restorations. Did you get a title with the car? CHP can match to that. If not and you “know “ the last owner you can do a registration search or title search of the car. GM can not help now as the department that used to do it was deleted. The previous state should have copies of registration or title but will cost 💲 and time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor