I need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
So I am in sort of a sticky situation. I currently work in a small mom and pop auto shop and really feels like a family. I might have another job opportunity at a dealership. I like the dealerships and the small shop feel. really it's coming down to the money. since I have only four years of real shop experience the pay starting isn't all that great at most places. The dealer ship is offering a much larger starting pay and they offer good benefits. The shop that I am at now doesn't offer any benefits. It's really hard to move out on your own and start your life at 12 dollars an hour.

The hard part is that I feel really bad about bringing something up like this to my boss because of how much I enjoy working there. As well as the amount of respect that i have for my boss and his wife. I obviously will make sure i have a job for sure at the dealership before I talk to my boss.

My question is how would you go about dealing with this situation?

All Motor Boys

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2011
Indianapolis,IN
I been a technician for almost 6yrs professionally now. I'm 23 and has had good success so far. Do you have any ASE's ?
If not I would suggest getting some they will make you more marketable.

Will the dealership be a flat rate job or hourly pay? Flat rate could be a good or bad and a bunch of things is factored in which can affect your pay . Some dealers promise more than you will actually gain. For example $20 per hour sound good but if your only flagging 20 hours on 40 hour work week. You only make $10 per hour which would be less than your making now. I'm not trying to discourage you just being honest.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
yees I have all of my ASE's I have worked at a dealer before and i understand how the flat rate works and there is a guarantee wage so i will still be ok when it is slow. I'm really looking for some advice on how to talk to my current boss about this. ide really like them to offer me more money and just stay there. I was hired as a light duty entry level technician but i can do way more than what they were looking for, for what they wanted to pay.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE
You could always explain to them that you were given this offer you're considering, but you're happy where you're at but you are looking to make money. They are a business after all, they should understand that aspect. Just be respectable about it.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
yah thats what I was kind of thinking ive just never been in this situation before. ive had many jobs but not many professional jobs.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I would just advise them of your future plans, and how the increase in pay would make them easier to attain. Followed by the love and respect for thier establishment you have, with this man they should understand how you fell.

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
I have had up to 30 people working for me at one time. And yes some of them leave and I am glad to see them go. But I have also had some that I have kept. I think that the best way to approach this situation is very simple and straight forward. Speak to your boss in private. You must always be respectful when speaking to your boss. Keep a calm voice, and simpley explain that you have been contacted by another company with a job offer. You didnt go looking for another job, the offer was presented to you. You like the people you work with, they have become family, you have learned a lot from them and you enjoy working there. You really dont want to leave, but at this point in your life you have to think about your own future. I have had that said to me several times over the years. You know, that if it is presented calmly, in most cases I have negotiated with the person and both parties are happy. I remember one person that had been offered so much that I couldnt even begin to match what the company had offered him. I knew that either he had exagerated the offer or that the company would only keep him for a short time. I told him that I really didnt want to loose him, he still had a lot to learn but I would give him a good recommendation. Then I made him an offer and told him to think about it and let me know the next day. That was over 5 years ago and he is still with me today. He has learned a lot and is amazing at what he does. Maybe he wouldnt have gotten to learn as much with another company, who knows. Sometimes, you have to weigh the good with the bad and remember that the grass may not be greener on the other side of the fence.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
hereiam said:
I have had up to 30 people working for me at one time. And yes some of them leave and I am glad to see them go. But I have also had some that I have kept. I think that the best way to approach this situation is very simple and straight forward. Speak to your boss in private. You must always be respectful when speaking to your boss. Keep a calm voice, and simpley explain that you have been contacted by another company with a job offer. You didnt go looking for another job, the offer was presented to you. You like the people you work with, they have become family, you have learned a lot from them and you enjoy working there. You really dont want to leave, but at this point in your life you have to think about your own future. I have had that said to me several times over the years. You know, that if it is presented calmly, in most cases I have negotiated with the person and both parties are happy. I remember one person that had been offered so much that I couldnt even begin to match what the company had offered him. I knew that either he had exagerated the offer or that the company would only keep him for a short time. I told him that I really didnt want to loose him, he still had a lot to learn but I would give him a good recommendation. Then I made him an offer and told him to think about it and let me know the next day. That was over 5 years ago and he is still with me today. He has learned a lot and is amazing at what he does. Maybe he wouldnt have gotten to learn as much with another company, who knows. Sometimes, you have to weigh the good with the bad and remember that the grass may not be greener on the other side of the fence.

Great reply, having also been an employer I agree with this approach. Many factors come in to play as far as staying/going goes....and ultimately you need to do what's best for your life, all while still being respectful of where you're at now, which you are.
Good for you, hope you do well :D

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
If your boss is a good man then don't leave your man stranded over a few dollars per hour. That other job could just be a mirage & your replacement boss is a wild card?! If so, you won't be able to return if it did cave in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor