I think my girlfriend was lied to......

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does her owner's manual say to use? I'm assuming this is a factory car with a factory turbo in which case the Manufacterer will have it's recommendation of what weight/viscosity of oil to use.

Compare that to what they are trying to sell her and determine if they are "upselling".

I've dealt with this plenty of times when going to a big box parts store or oil change place. I'm convinced they keep some old, crappy worn out PCV valve laying around to show people there's is "bad" so they can sell them a new one.
I used to play around with them and change the air filter and PCV valve before going in for an oil change just to see what would happen. Sure enough, one came back and said I had a bad PCV valve and showed be this old oily looking thing they "pulled out" of my car.
I told them that's funny since I personally just replaced it with a brand new valve the day before. They shut up and didn't mention it again and I never went back to that place.

And don't get me started on the counter jockies at the parts stores that try to sell you a spark plug with 100 ground straps attached to it and cost $50.00 each saying they'll give you 5HP. :roll:

pontiacgp said:
that's how they sell and they prey on people who they think they can take advantage of...personally I would not trust any of their products that come out of a drum...just cause they say it's synthetic who know what quality it is...

I agree with this guy. who knows whats coming out of those oil drums. they may tell u and charge u as "syntetic oil", but ur getting regular oil... :evil:

i worked at one of those junk oil change places about 5 years ago. I wouldnt listen to a thing they say since most have no idea what they are even talking about in the first place, second to all on here i sure dont trust whats in those barrels at all. One day i was working there they went to fill a guys truck up and what came out of that nozzle from the barrel of " premium synthetic" looked like used gear oil and probably was. Heck a few left without oil in them which needless to say they didnt make it far.

He's just doing his job though. We all have jobs to do. Heck, I upsell people on stuff all the time here at NAPA. I upsell them to a superior product of course.

But, DIY is the best route here :mrgreen:

RITTER said:
He's just doing his job though. We all have jobs to do. Heck, I upsell people on stuff all the time here at NAPA. I upsell them to a superior product of course.

But, DIY is the best route here :mrgreen:

if you give them suggestions about a superior product and give an informed opinion as to why they are superior is fine because they are still making their own choice. If on the other hand imply that the product they want will damage the car when you know that is false just to sell them a higher priced item to increase your commission is unconscionable...

Scaring customers into thinking that they need something isn't good business. Just so he can have better sales for the day.

Normally i would do it myself, but its been raining for a week here and she was right there. The problem was he had her convinced it would blow up or something catastrophic if she didn't use synthetic oil. :roll:

they have a program on the computer that tells them what the recommended fluid is and if the manual recommends to use conventional oil then I'd go back the place and ask them to look up with the recommended oil is and then ask them why your gf was scared into buying an unnecessary oil upgrade. Also if they just used the common oil filter then there was no benefit to the synthetic since the filter won't last the life of the oil. I'd also mention it sounds like it's a sex discrimination issue...

pontiacgp said:
they have a program on the computer that tells them what the recommended fluid is and if the manual recommends to use conventional oil then I'd go back the place and ask them to look up with the recommended oil is and then ask them why your gf was scared into buying an unnecessary oil upgrade. Also if they just used the common oil filter then there was no benefit to the synthetic since the filter won't last the life of the oil. I'd also mention it sounds like it's a sex discrimination issue...

you know something, gp? your alright. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor