I think my girlfriend was lied to......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yeah, I wouldn't lie to someone to get them to buy a more expensive product. I wish I recieved commission :?

I used to work at a Jiffy Lube, like 5 years ago. The only time I would sell synthetic oil is if the customer came in and asked for it. There aren't any vehicles out there that can absolutely NOT run on conventional motor oil. It works just fine.

I could see where a synthetic oil could be recommended for a forced induction engine though. As they will produce more heat and synthetic motor oil has a much higher temperature break down point.

I also agree with the sexist statement. It is easier to upsell a female, that may not be very car smart, into buying a more expensive product. Which is totally wrong :!:

RITTER said:
I could see where a synthetic oil could be recommended for a forced induction engine though. As they will produce more heat and synthetic motor oil has a much higher temperature break down point.:

Especially a turbo... Lots and lots of heat. The exhaust turbine housings can get hot enough to glow cherry red and your oil has to flow through there to cool it and to lube the bearing. I'd personally put synthetic in a turbo car but that's just me. Sure you don't have to but I think it's worth that little bit of extra insurance.

That said I usually buy oil by the case cheapest brand available and I've never had a problem. :lol: I wouldn't do that to a brand new car, or a performance car... But regular drivers whatever.

Buick regals came out in 78 with a turbo & Pontiac with the 301 had a turbo in 80 and 81 and synthetic oil wasn't on the market. What they did do was to put a higher pressure oil pump to make sure the turbo got oil. The Grand Nationals are still around today and I haver never heard of any problem with the turbo unit dieing due to the heat prematurely...is synthetic oil better?...yes but that was no reason to frighten someone into buying it and that is the issue...

I don't think anybody is saying you have to use synthetic, just that it isn't a bad idea. Synthetics have been proven to maximize the power output of an engine.

Yes, it is wrong to scare somebody into buying synthetic oil.

CamaroAdam73 said:
TUrbo's force air INTO the engine, i don't think they suck hot air out.

your right, i pulled a hilary clinton and mispoke 😳 I was pretty mad at the guy when i sat down to write this. I say again, the debate isn't over if synthetic would work better, this was just a matter of some sleazy manager at a pennzoil express in Floyds Knobs, Indiana scaring a 21 year old girl into spending twice as much money as she actually had to.

my buddy has a jetta with a 1.8T. he just runs mobil 1... not sure what weight, i think 0 or 5w 30?

synthetic oil has been available to the public since the early 70's. it is alway recommended that you use synthetic oil in a turbo car as they DO produce massive amounts of heat.
as the oil sits in the hot turbo it heats to the point of coking. synthetic oil does not have this problem.
oil coking CAN be catastrophic in a turbo engine, and is easily prevented by using synthetic oil. she was not being "lied" to, but i don't doubt that the oil pit monkey was well informed, he just knew that turbos should use synthetic.
he was right.

http://www.custom-car.us/turbo/lubrication.aspx

if you don't want to pay $60-90-100 for an oil change, go to advance, and buy a filter and 5 qts of syntec. $35-40 and you're out the door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor