I think my girlfriend was lied to......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain scaring people into buying something is illegal. I work at an oil change/small repair shop that's privately owned. You do what you gotta do to up sell a product but you don't scare people into buying stuff or lie about it. My general rule of thumb is, if I won't use it, I won't sell it. Like that magical engine leak sealing crap and radiator sealer crap. If its leaking, fix it right! Synthetic oil is just oil that is man-made. It does the same thing as conventional oil only a bit better. its not thinner and makes leaks like people say (if it was thinner it would be a different viscosity) it doesn't cause leaks (if it leaks you had a leak before that was clogged with dirt that conventional didn't clean out and the better cleaning synthetic oil cleaned) but I would seriously give that guy a piece of my mind if I were you.

I use synthetic oil exclusively, in ALL my motors, but that's just me. In a turbo, hell yeah, synthetic. Look at the flip side, maybe the guy figured the turbo needs better oil, a rational explanation would get him nowhere with a female, and he "embellished" a bit so the motor got the better oil and he went home thinking he did a good deed. Not impossible. But my question would be why aren't you doing the oil changes so that you KNOW the best oil was used, it was done correctly, and being synthetic, you timed your extended oil changes for the nice weather? Not busting balls, but, leaving a female to get anything done at any kind of shop is a recipe for disaster.

Some turbo cars need synthetic oil. Cobalt and HHR SS's need require synthetic oil. If it needs synthetic it'll say it on the cap.

I worked in a quickie lube during college, and upselling was a huge part of the job. But we didn't make commission. I know of no OEM that requires synthetic. GM recommends Mobile 1 in Corvettes, and went as far as putting a Mobile placard under the hood, so it was obviously a partnership. Toyota also officially recommended using at least a synthetic blend on the 3.0L V6's in the early 2000's when they had the sludge issue due to a hot spot in one of the heads.

I can honestly say that I have been sold on synthetic oil, even though I continue to run conventional in my DD. When I switched to synthetic in my Olds I could feel a power difference. But when you have less than 200HP, it doesn't take a lot to feel it. I also overheated the engine badly once, and the oil seemed to not burn based on its color and smell.

I agree that I would go get my 30 bucks back. If a husband came back in complaining that his wife was dooped into an upsale, he was given his money back no questions asked. Even if the service was due by manufacture's recommendations.

BTW: Don't put synthetic in a rotary engine!!! It could cause it to loose compression.

79malibu350 said:
CamaroAdam73 said:
TUrbo's force air INTO the engine, i don't think they suck hot air out.

your right, i pulled a MIKE HUCKABEE and mispoke 😳 I was pretty mad at the guy when i sat down to write this. I say again, the debate isn't over if synthetic would work better, this was just a matter of some sleazy manager at a pennzoil express in Floyds Knobs, Indiana scaring a 21 year old girl into spending twice as much money as she actually had to.

There I fixed your post for you... You're welcome.

kornball426 said:
79malibu350 said:
CamaroAdam73 said:
TUrbo's force air INTO the engine, i don't think they suck hot air out.

your right, i pulled a MIKE HUCKABEE and mispoke 😳 I was pretty mad at the guy when i sat down to write this. I say again, the debate isn't over if synthetic would work better, this was just a matter of some sleazy manager at a pennzoil express in Floyds Knobs, Indiana scaring a 21 year old girl into spending twice as much money as she actually had to.

There I fixed your post for you... You're welcome.

:rofl: No, no i had it right. Ive seen the video of her getting of that helicopter and she definitely wasnt dodging bullets..... lol.

CamaroAdam73 said:
Go back over with your malibu, and repave the parking lot with rubber, flip em the bird and hang it sideways still laying it down on the way out.

Hell Yeah! Oh yeah, and take your plates off first!

Jim

What kind of car does your GF have and is it high mileage?
I had a bad experience with synthetic oil once and since then I don't use it. I did an oil change on my 85 Elky using synthetic. Car had 100,000 plus miles on it. This was around the time when synthetic oils really hit the mainstream market. I drove my car for about a week and it began stalling a lot. Checked it out, and it had NO oil in it. And, before you ask, no, it never leaked.

I thought of something else at work today, all 2011 GM vehicles require Dexos oil, a synthetic blend, every oil change instead of just conventional oil. It's got something to do with tighter bearing clearances and longer lasting engines I beleive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor