Idiot light. On the highway. 86 GP, 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
So I've got a check engine light on the highway after ten miles. I can idle it for half hour, floor it on the entrance ramp, whatever. Once I'm highway driving for awhile the light comes on. If I restart the car it won't be on until I hit the highway again. I don't notice any difference once the light's on, although I've always wondered if the secondaries open properly (real nice pickup but unimpressive top gear response). It's done this since I bought it. It's tuned up except for a carb rebuild and engine timing and it still comes on.

Any idea which of the various sensors could cause the light to come on from exclusive highway action? I know it's a guessing game, but this forum always comes in for me. Could anything other than a sensor, say a grimy carb, cause the light to come on?

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
Sounds like the egr valve isn't opening when it should (low load high manifold vaccume) not a big deal really. You could see slightly lower fuel mileage though, because when the egr valve opens it leans out the a/f mixture with exhaust.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
carpenter383 said:
Sounds like the egr valve isn't opening when it should (low load high manifold vaccume) not a big deal really. You could see slightly lower fuel mileage though, because when the egr valve opens it leans out the a/f mixture with exhaust.
Yup that be my guess also, I've got an 87 ss same thing pulled the code and it comes up egr... prob. is it was changed so idk.. doesnt matter loosing the computer soon anyway. :)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you pull a code? Even if it's intermittent try pulling a code while it's on. The only thing I can think of in high gear is the lockup converter, but I'm not sure if that would set the light.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the ideas. I don't have a code reader, otherwise I'd do the code after a highway operation. Maybe it's the EGR failing, my engine runs on the rich side, but then again the carb could use a rebuild, too. For an EGR function test, do I press in the diaphragm and see if it pops back out? And, is there any way to know whether or not the secondaries open properly?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you don't need a code reader, you can use a jumper wire to connect 2 pins together and the light will blink out the code.
look it up in the owners manual for the exact procedure.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
megaladon6 said:
you don't need a code reader, you can use a jumper wire to connect 2 pins together and the light will blink out the code.

true. I'm betting it's the EGR or the oxygen snesor.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yeah, but why bet? it's better to know

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
megaladon6 said:

My owners manual doesn't say how to jump pins to find out the code. It only says to have the car serviced if the engine light comes on. I've got the owners manual for the 86 GP and Bonneville. Can you explain how to do it?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
sorry, not the owners manual, the repair manual
mines buried, but i'll see what i can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor