Idiot light. On the highway. 86 GP, 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here ya go. Sorry I clipped off a couple of lines. You jump "A" and "B".
IMG-5.jpg

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
guess i don't have to un-bury mine then

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Cool. Is it the black connector under the dash about four inches from the parking brake release? There's two rows of six slots, the top row has five pins in there and the bottom row has one pin (corresponding to the upper row without a pin). Am I golden, is this the fleece?

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Cool. It's that black connector near the parking brake release.

I got a bunch of 12s, a 53, and then some more 12s. According to the link on that CCC thing, the EGR sensor is receiving improper vacuum from the EGR. Will I need to replace the EGR valve and the sensor thing it's hooked up to?

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
ilduce said:
Cool. It's that black connector near the parking brake release.

I got a bunch of 12s, a 53, and then some more 12s. According to the link on that CCC thing, the EGR sensor is receiving improper vacuum from the EGR. Will I need to replace the EGR valve and the sensor thing it's hooked up to?

Before you spend any money I would first check to see if the egr valve is holding vaccume. The easiest way would be with a vaccume pump like a mightyvac. And you might want to take the egr valve off and clean it too, they tend get carboned up which causes them to stick.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is why you need a factory manual. Code 12 means all is well. Code 53 is this >>>>
IMG-6.jpg
IMG_0001-3.jpg

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the info. I swapped the EGR solenoid with a much cleaner unit I found and still a light on the highway. These solenoid/sensor deals are impossible to find new, so I'll just live with the light. It could be a faulty code.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
A couple days ago I checked EGR valves on the car when idling and lifted up on the diaphragm. Sure enough the idle speed dropped. I even killed it one time. But, the light comes on after 10 minutes of highway action, the b*st*rd.

Today I took the EGR off, squashed the diaphragm in and threw a vacuum port cap on the nipple. Held tight. Did some chores and the diaphragm was almost all the way out when I got done fifteen minutes later. It's not holding the vacuum by itself. It's supposed to, right? I don't have a vacuum gauge so this was my space-age function test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor