idling time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Cops cars come with idle hour meters. On my 2008 CVPI you can select between odometer and idle meter. According to Ford, one idle hour equels 33 miles of highway driving in wear. This is with the police sub models having oil coolers that double as oil warmers during prolonged idling. Normal cars that lack such oil coolers experience even more wear during prolonged idling.

FYI, if you ever look at used police package cars, times the idle hours by 33 and add to the miles.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Interesting GM have the hour meter. One article claimed new vehicles shouldn't be idled at all to warm up at all. I call BS on that. Excessive can be bad. None and heading straight on the highway flooring it in -40 isn't good either. Yeah, I also noticed people sitting in their car, mostly in the Summer with the A/C on. Unless you start your car 20 minutes before your break, you would freeze here right now. I am stuck in the truck all day, most days. I have seen some variance on big trucks for hours, talking 1000 hours for similar mileage. Diesels mechanically basically last forever, emissions equipment is a different story.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor