If I had to start over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Lucky for me I had a lot of lesson's learned from other project vehicles I've had in the past that I was able to avoid lot of the pitfalls some folks fall into with project vehicles. But the biggest mistake I made wasn't spending $300 to fly down to Texas before buying my car and having it shipped (I'd bought cars and bikes over the internet before with good luck, but this time there were a lot of undisclosed issues with the car), I still probably would've bought the car with the issues but could've probably saved at least a grand over what I paid; c'est la vie.

Another thing I'd do over again is break in my engine on the engine Dyno and then tune it at a chassis dyno immediately after installing it. Would've saved me a lot of headaches; trying to save money by not using the Dyno cost me lots of time, time in the garage trouble shooting and downtime of the car. The only parts regret I have is that I would've never bought the Cold Case Radiator and fans, the extra cost wasn't worth the hassle and the fans were not adequate to cool a stock 350 let alone a beefed up 403.

Not sure I'd really have started with a different car or anything like that as I wanted to build the car into what I wanted the car to be. For some guys buying a complete car that's mint or already restored is actually cheaper in the long run than buying something that needs pretty much everything. I threw a catalog of parts at my car but the car is almost exactly how I want it. Even with all the money I spent on parts I don't think I could buy a car like mine for any less than I have spent on it (with the current insanity anything even close would probably cost more). There's the whole time investment thing, but what else was I gonna do in late evenings? Watch TV? LOL

Reactions: 4 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
The only parts regret I have is that I would've never bought the Cold Case Radiator and fans, the extra cost wasn't worth the hassle and the fans were not adequate to cool a stock 350 let alone a beefed up 403.
More good advice from somebody with real world experience. I’ll be shopping elsewhere. Buyer beware…

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
My advice? Don't set it aside. Life has a way of preventing you from getting back when you meant to. 3 weeks here, 3 months there, pretty soon you're looking back at 20 years.
You got that right! My non-G project Pinto quit running 25 years ago, I pushed it into the garage and said "someday" I'll fix it. Well, it took 25 years for "someday" to arrive. I finally started "fixing" it this last summer. Parts would have been a lot easier to acquire 25 years ago than they are now.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I would've started on the car hobby at 12 years old rather than playing sports that destroyed my body which dictated my career path.

Reactions: 5 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I've been at this game a REALLY long time. 40+ years. So I made thousands of mistakes in my younger years and I've also learned that I STILL make lots of mistakes.

Case in point, my wagon; I've always told myself to start with the best piece I could afford. Since this car was only going to be my year round beater and sole winter driver, I didn't want to pay up too much. But when I saw a California body with a freshly rebuilt engine and transmission and a brand new custom dual exhaust system, pop up on Craigslist......

..... I let that cloud my judgement that this car was an unfinished project started by someone I didn't know. He claimed it was all dialed in and ready to go minus a wonky carb. I went about 2X over my original budget. I could tell it was going to need some work to get it to the level that I needed it to be: proven and reliable, but not a beauty queen. What I ended up with was a California body, with a freshly rebuilt engine that leaked oil like a sieve, the wiring was like spaghetti, the radiator was held in with zip ties, the fuel line was 3ft of rubber hose zip-tied to the front sway bar, the transmission didn't have the converter seated correctly and wiped out the pump in short order, a floor shifter that argued over space with the speedometer cable which was disconnected, and that brand new exhaust system was the LAST thing done to the car because it was in the way of everything. I couldn't even drop the starter when I needed to, and try removing a TH-400 trans with an X-Pipe in the way.

Over time, (way longer than I originally anticipated) I was able to correct all the problems with the car and it has become a fun and reliable driver. But I learned I will never buy a half-finished project car again unless it was from someone I knew really well, or it would already have to be completely dialed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I will never buy a half-finished project car again unless it was from someone I knew really well, or it would already have to be completely dialed in.
Sadly, the reason many of these become available anymore - someone cutting their losses when shoveling money isn’t the thrill it was at fist.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My Cutlass has never been a disabled project so I don't really have any regrets there. I've had plenty of others over the years though and my approach has evolved as I've aged. I've been working on my '35 pickup off and on for almost 22 years. Apparently I'm that old guy I used to read about in Street Rodder magazine that finally finished his high school ride after the marriage, house, kids, career, etc. I couldn't comprehend what took so long when I was 17. Totally get it now. Hoping to be drivable next summer.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My non-G project Pinto quit running 25 years ago, I pushed it into the garage and said "someday" I'll fix it. Well, it took 25 years for "someday" to arrive. I finally started "fixing" it this last summer. Parts would have been a lot easier to acquire 25 years ago than they are now.
R.e51ebb0ae510169219034370f945bfc2

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I wouldn't have allowed myself to get distracted by the wagon and TBSS builds. Rather I would have put the time, money, and effort into the Monte.

I will be re-evaluating things once we get settled in the new house.
Nah, man. The Judge is awesome. I wasn't paying attention for 15 years and didn't even know the TBSS was a thing until last year...

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor