If your a tool guy you might to read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
DRIVEN said:
Even Harbor Freight has a free replacement. Sad for Craftsman owners.

The only thing we dont replace no questioned asked anymore, in our district as least, is the ratchets. And its only because of the yard sale hunters costing the local stores 20 bucks a pop per ratchet and coming in with ten of them a week. Getting them straight from the factory means Sears Holdings doesnt have to reimburse the local stores for their inventory. Thats the only reason that one has changed.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
That's good to know. I returned a 8mm 3/8 socket a year ago and they still tell me it's on backorder! WTF?

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
brettlaage03 said:
That's good to know. I returned a 8mm 3/8 socket a year ago and they still tell me it's on backorder! WTF?

You returned it and still haven't gotten a new one?

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
i have broken a lot of my craftsman tools. sometimes due to abuse but never had any probs exchanging them. got a few looks when exchanged a 1/2 in ratchet that broke in half at the top along with a 3 in extension cracked it and a socket cracked in half...... they (tools) didnt like like the 4 foot tube/ breaker bar. tried to take off u bolt from the rear leafsprings from my 86 k10. not a fun day.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
theres a few people i might take the chance on and give em a new ratchet off the wall. But were really not supposed to, or we could lose our jobs. It might happen more at one of the class 1 stores (the big ones). The one i work in is a mid size store. The cooler you are about the more likely they will take that chance. I was hoping i could clear some things up for you fella's if you had any :wtf: kinda questions. I know i was annoyed at some of the stuff going on. Some of the stuff i might divulge would probably be frowned up, so
129081516121313085.jpg

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I discovered Craftsman tools on a trip to Texas years ago, only failure to date was a 3/8" rachet due to constant use and abuse. I'm glad I bought a repair kit at the same time - price 1cent - as making a warranty claim from 4000 miles is not a realistic option.
Quality tools are half the price in the USA compared to British prices.
A friend of mine found a Snap On wrench on his farm that was broken. He presented it to the salesman when he called, next time he came round he had a replacement for him. The salesman told him he didn't recognise the wrench and some research showed it had been made in the '40s, probably lost from a US air base stationed in England during WW2.
Still he gave him the new one no questions asked.

Roger.

vic84supersport

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2011
PHoenix
love snap on tools...our guys never lets us dwn and he always gots what we need, if i break a wrench, ratched screwdriver etc bam replacement every thursday for the last 8 years....

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
rustyroger said:
I discovered Craftsman tools on a trip to Texas years ago, only failure to date was a 3/8" rachet due to constant use and abuse. I'm glad I bought a repair kit at the same time - price 1cent - as making a warranty claim from 4000 miles is not a realistic option.
A friend of mine found a Snap On wrench on his farm that was broken. He presented it to the salesman when he called, next time he came round he had a replacement for him. The salesman told him he didn't recognise the wrench and some research showed it had been made in the '40s, probably lost from a US air base stationed in England during WW2.

Roger.

Well for one our tools cost less because we just have humble wrenches, not fancy shmancy "spanners" like you guys. j/k :lol:

And two... Wow that's pretty funny I bet some GI was bummed out he didn't get his free SnapOn replacement. And it's also pretty impressive that they honor their no questions asked guarantee even on a 65-70 year old tool. 8)

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
rustyroger said:

Roger.

My Snap On Dealer "actually" looks for any old Snap On tools to warranty... :lol: He collects them and its actually cool that a tool is actually warrantied for life. Now I as a heavy equipment mechanic, i started with Craftsman which i still use cuz of the affordability and guarantee. But lately i have noticed in the last few years the warranty claims have become somewhat of a hassle... :| But i still use them and slowly am replacing them with better quality tools but nonetheless they are still being used in my garage. I actually heard that most quality tools were made by the same company though i can't remember which.... Now the boxes are what cost the most as i am hoping to replace my Harbor Freight special with a nice Snap On and to get one i would have to hand over my first born, arm & leg, and the family jewels!! :rofl:

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Well for one our tools cost less because we just have humble wrenches, not fancy shmancy "spanners" like you guys. j/k :lol:

"Two nations divided by a common language" - Winston Churchill.
Your hood is our bonnet, trunk = boot, wrench = spanner, sway bar = anti roll bar, gasoline = petrol, fender = wing; the list is almost endless.
When I buy parts in the USA I often end up drawing a picture of what I want and the long suffering manager of the Carquest parts store in Llano will say; "Oh Roger you want xxxx", and proceeds to get me exactly what I want.
Bless her, her patience and the trouble she takes to help me make me feel humble.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor