Ignition coil or not????

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
t's a 350 tbi swapped to carb, heads have had a valve job new plugs wires distributor
we're all assuming its an hei distributor. but i see you swapped in a tbi engine. which distributor are you running, hei large cap or small cap distributor with separate coil?
if your running a large cap hei with vacuum advance, its possible the pick up coil wires have an intermittent open in one or both of the wires. this is caused by the vacuum advance plate moving back and forth and flexing the wires. over time, this flexing can cause the wires to break. disconnect the vacuum line to the can and retest.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
like airboatgreg said.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
my memory isn't the greatest but I never heard of that to test the pick up coil...
you can also induce a voltage on one of the wires with a test light to simulate pick up coil voltage to help narrow down if module or pick up coil is at fault.

Reactions: 1 users

adrianMCmoreno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2017
Found the problem it turned out to be the ignition coil even after I checked it like in the youtube video mentioned above thanks everyone for all the input and ideas :banana::banana::banana:

Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Found the problem it turned out to be the ignition coil even after I checked it like in the youtube video mentioned above thanks everyone for all the input and ideas :banana::banana::banana:

Glad to hear that you got it fixed !!
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Thanks for updating. So many times we never hear about the outcome.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

are you saying you found the problem by testing it according to the video or did it pass that test?....if it passed the test how did you discover it was the ignition coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor