Ignition Control Module (aftermarket)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Hello everyone,

Anyone have any experience using Accel or Davis Unified modules? Just wondering if worth throwing on a sbc 265?
My GP is all stock.

I've used Accel ignition coils on another car, had good results in regards to idle and acceleration.

Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've been using an Accel ignition module for years with an Accel blueprint distributor. The coil is not an AcceI. It looks more like the Davis unified unit, I also keep the plug gaps @ .045. Btw, the coil is a Hypertech.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can run .060 gap just like originally recommended on a stock Delco unit....just not for very long. Then GM got smarter and reduced the gap, eliminated a lot of HEI problems.

Aftermarket stuff is ok for the most part. But if you're running stock HEI, there's no reason to spend the extra $$ on aftermarket parts unless you just want to. The stock HEI is more than up to the task for a stock GM engine if you close the plug gap to no more than .045. Just get good brand name parts. If you need a module, search on ebay or somewhere and get the OLD Delco parts and you can rest assured it'll work fine, and there's a good chance you may get it for a good price. Maybe not, as some of these cheese wipes selling them automatically think older Delco parts are antiques and try to value them accordingly. Shop around. But normally you should be able to find a Delco part for about 1/2 the price of the Accel part. Always use the heat sink type dielectric grease (this is important) under a new module where it contacts the distributor base. If it comes with a little grease packet...USE IT.

Of course, if they're relatively the same price, flip a coin. Accel isn't a bad thing, but it's not necessarily better on a stock engine.

You should have a 4 prong ignition module, original p/n 1875990, superseded to 10482820, and finally 19180771.

But there's a possibility of a 7 pin module, which would be 1977907, 1978617, 1978744, 16140189, 10482836, 10482832, and finally 19179581.

Reactions: 3 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
thanks for the feedback folks! I have a 7 pin module as i did have to replace it before.
i'm going to try the DUI module, i could use a backup, as i've read horror stories here of modules going bad.

I had some thermal paste leftover from a PC build and used it on the module, has been fine.

any advice on spark plug wires? i went wit the cheapest option at the time.

For plugs i have the AcDelco Rapid fire, anything better?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As for plug wires, I went with Taylor 8mm spiral wound wires. I got the universal set where you cut and fit it to the length that's needed.
Plugs I use are NGK V-power.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
thanks for the info, been seeing spiral wound is the best option.
I think most, if not all premium plug wires are spiral wound. Race wires are probably solid core copper, where radio interference is not an issue. You don't have to break the bank to get a decent set of wires. Some are so overpriced anyway. Plus you're paying for the name in most cases. Perhaps a good set of generic brand wires will suit you just fine.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm probably wasting my bandwidth here, but on a stock engine, buying Taylor wires and NGK plugs- you'll likely only notice your wallet is lighter. Don't get me wrong, those are some great components. But nobody's ever been able to convince me the cost benefits of using these over GM components for use on a stock engine. People have a tendency to think the aftermarket components are automatically better because they cost more, but that's not always the case.

If your stock HEI and wiring/plugs are currently in good shape, they're adequate for lighting off your stocker. This is not to say the Taylors/NGK's will hurt anything, but any "improvement" you see is likely just fixing a problem you had with your stock setup that could have been fixed with good, stock GM components for likely a lot less. Getting them free, swap meet bargains, on sale, etc., there's nothing wrong getting them if you don't have to pay more than you would for GM stuff.

Nothing new. People been diss'ing the GM HEI system since its inception. They will throw a helluva spark right off the assembly line. Anyone who's ever been "bitten" by one can tell you that. I can tell you that. Like anything else, good maintenance procedures and following that plan is the best medicine to keep things alive and kicking. When the tuneup is right, they can easily last for 50 years under the hood.

It's your money. Your peace of mind. Only you know the value of that. If you have the $$ and you don't mind, I surely don't mind.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor