Ignition Control Module (aftermarket)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Since HEI is electronic, you really should use carbon core suppression wires to avoid EMI and RFI in the electronics, especially if you are running CCC or EFI. Spiral core stuff generally costs more yet does a much poorer job of suppressing EMI with no ignition improvement. The ignition enegry travels through the magnetic field around the wire.

Coil in cap ignition coils are a compromised design. In order to fit in the tight space inside the cap, they have to use thin windings and insulation which makes them weak. Not to mention being in cap results in them retaining more heat which promotes coil overheating which aggavates the thin windings and insulation. There is a reason for remote coil conversions.
True on the coil but for some reason the GM small on trucks, what we mostly saw, tended to really corrode on the caps. We always used the brass terminal Blue Streak caps in the shop I worked at years ago. Everything has their negatives.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If you use good stock parts it’ll be fine. I’ve done the whole ignition change to aftermarket parts on a working ignition and it improved nothing. Granted if the plugs are worn or the components are old there’ll be an improvement. I’ve even upgraded from an msd 6al box on my almost 880 hp race car the 7al2-plus and a pro power coil. Basically going from a street strip ignition to a full face setup and gained ZERO. Keep your plug gaps small and maintain the parts and your stock ignition will be fine.
For a race car, you may need a better coil if it cannot charge and discharge the windings fast enough to keep up with the rpm. This is more important than voltage rating

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Most of the claimed better performance and mileage products don't work as claimed. Daily drivers work best with daily driver parts. But.. if you got $$$$ to have the aftermarket module that you'll never feel the difference on go ahead. Its fun to have the parts that no one sees! I got some myself. Got a drive shaft loop on my SS that has never or will never go to a track. But it looks pretty. Good luck.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
thanks everyone for the feedback

after swapping plugs/using low resistance wires / replacing ignition control module car runs wwwaayyy better

my car would randomly cut off while driving, last thing i changed was the control module. mystery solved

i’m happy the way it is now!

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Hate to be the late commer.... but when it comes to the ignition control module thermal paste, i recommend using "Dow Corning 340 Silicone Heat Sink Compound", its rated to 350F and perfectly suited for automobile use IMO. Granted, the thermal paste designed for CPU/GPU use in computers might be a good idea, but the inside of a PC gets nowhere near the same temps as under the hood of a car, especially hot soak periods during the summer time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor