Ignition key to my '85 Monte Carlo just Broke :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
My freaking ignition key to my MC just broke and we don't have anyone open this time of night to make me a copy. Since im gonna have to wait till the morning anyways, I was wondering if it would be best (meaning cheaper) to goto a GM dealership or to a locksmith?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there's no 24 hr wallmart around you?...they make keys

and make a spare while your at it.. :mrgreen:

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
family_72209 said:
My freaking ignition key to my MC just broke and we don't have anyone open this time of night to make me a copy. Since im gonna have to wait till the morning anyways, I was wondering if it would be best (meaning cheaper) to goto a GM dealership or to a locksmith?
better off waiting!!!!! they will TAX U.. i kno locksmith will be atleast 75 bucks!

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
Im in Arkansas so we got plenty of wal-marts, but the guy said he couldn't make a copy off the broke one and im guessing that can't use the VIN system like the Dealer or Locksmith. Yeah im gonna make plenty of spares, hell the one i thought was my spare most of come off our old Cutless or something, all it said was "GM"

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I'm wondering if there is anyway to try to remove the section of broken key from the lock cyl? I've never thought about this but there must be a solution for this?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
find another guy who knows how to cut a key or crazy glue it together so they can make a copy..

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
pontiacgp said:
find another guy who knows how to cut a key or crazy glue it together so they can make a copy..

If the section of key can be removed there is no need to rejoin the two sections. The key machine has a clamp that holds the key in place while the guide glides over it. This clamp will still work just fine if the key is broken into two sections. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor