im having bad luck with getting a body man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Iv took my car to two bodymen one is someone who did my last car and one a local shop and they both have told me that they wouldnt mess with my car. I do know that the driver side t-top has been half *ss repaired but it seems that no one wants to take the time to actually do work on a car they just want the easy money ins. claims. So i started sanding down the car and what everyone thought was alot of body work turned out there was nothing there. So the only major spot so far is the t-top area which i think im just going to find another t top car and cut the driver roof and do the repair the right way. Here is a pic of the damage
DSCI0002.jpg

And the passenger side (what the driver should look like
DSCI0003.jpg

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Looks ok with the top down, but its pretty ugly with the top on. There has got to be somebody that will do the work.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
That should be a easy fix your going to a bondo slinger not a real body shop see if you can find anyone that restores cars they would do it right.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That would be stupid-easy to fix with a home MIG welder, a hammer and dolly set, some flanging pliers, a 4.5 in angle grinder and a vise ( All but the welder would total under $50 combined at Harbor Freight. The welder could be had as cheap as $200 if you do some smart shopping.). You could buy all of the tools for what 3 hours of shop labor would run you. It does not have to look exceptionally pretty when done seeing as it is under the headliner. I have done about 10 patches on my roof (hardtop) and am by no means a good welder ( I have a photo diary of a roof patch on my Myspace if you want to look at what is involved). As long as you seal the front and back sides when it is done, you should have a long-lasting repair. Just use an old panel for the extra metal (70's cars are good donors because they use thicker metal than 90's cars-about 2x as thick!). I cut up a rusty hood from a 1979 AMC Spirit for my metal. Heck, if you wanna drive all the way to New Port Richey, I'll give you some of the left over metal and take you to Harbor Freight-and I may even take the time to fab the patch for you if I am feeling bored that day...lol.

(I'd offer to weld it, but my welder needs a $140 part and I don't have the money to fix it)

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Thanks i appreciate that. I have a welder , if you look at http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3272&highlight= Youll see what i have welded up. Im just not sure i know how to do major body repair like that, just simple stuff like shaving. Im kinda on edge on keeping it or selling it to this guy who over the weekend offered to give me 1500 for it. I already know where theres a G body sitting for under a grand in alot better shape body wise, just have to hear it run. But i love the T tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor