Impala Rear Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
I have a wreck impala ss that i currently am striping down to put the lt1 and 4l60e in my 1985 Buick Regal. I really want to put that limited slip rear end in my regal. Does any body know if the impala rear will fit my regal hub to hub. Has this been done by anyone before because i would really appreciate the help.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Too wide. Only a G body 8.5 will fit a G body without any modifications. You would have to cut down the housing, have the axles shortened and weld LCA and spring brackets on in the appropriate positions to fit. The Impala SS also has a 5 on 5 bolt circle as compared to the G body's 5 on 4.75 BC. If you use the wheels off the Impala, it won't be an issue if the backspacing works, but you need to re-drill or replace the axles and rotors to make the change. Also, the B car LT1's A/C compressor will hit the frame in a G body. Use Y body ( Corvette) or aftermarket accessory drives to retain the A/C.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Too wide. Only a G body 8.5 will fit a G body without any modifications. You would have to cut down the housing, have the axles shortened and weld LCA and spring brackets on in the appropriate positions to fit. The Impala SS also has a 5 on 5 bolt circle as compared to the G body's 5 on 4.75 BC. If you use the wheels off the Impala, it won't be an issue if the backspacing works, but you need to re-drill or replace the axles and rotors to make the change. Also, the B car LT1's A/C compressor will hit the frame in a G body. Use Y body ( Corvette) or aftermarket accessory drives to retain the A/C.

Where would i begin to look for axles or would come out better selling the impala rear and put it towards a gn8.5?

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
In the long run, I'd think you'd be better off selling the Impala unit and find an 8.5 from a GN or a '84 Hurst Olds/ '85-'87 442.

It's a bolt in and the worst case scenario would be to replace stuff that would wear out anyway.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
By the time you have axles made ( $300 or so), get new rotors ( $50-100) and cut the housing, weld on the brackets, etc. you will not save enough money to be worth your time. Plus, if you get it wrong, you have created a piece of scrap metal where once was an axle you could have sold for $200-600 ( depending on the market for the Imp axle). G body 8.5's go for $600-1200 depending on who's selling it and what it has in it.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
7.5 0r 8.5

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
By the time you have axles made ( $300 or so), get new rotors ( $50-100) and cut the housing, weld on the brackets, etc. you will not save enough money to be worth your time. Plus, if you get it wrong, you have created a piece of scrap metal where once was an axle you could have sold for $200-600 ( depending on the market for the Imp axle). G body 8.5's go for $600-1200 depending on who's selling it and what it has in it.

This will be a everyday driver but i do want to get loose with it every now and then will i be waistin my time to convert my 7.5 to 3:73 posi unit

husky100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2008
Elkton, Maryland 21921
I thought the same thing about my 7.5. Installed some aftermarket axles, Eaton Posi, extended wheel studs, and I run 10.40's. Now grant it I am not whacking it with a trans brake as that would be just flat out stupid!! I do have some 8.5 A body rears with upper and lower control arm mounts and coil spring perches. @55" flange to flange. Also have a built 7.5, if your looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor