Induction question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
When I see people at the track that have removed a headlight and turned it into an induction port is that for forced induction like a turbo? Just curious, I always thought it looked mean but I never knew if it could be used as a ram air port for a carb'ed car or not and if there would be any benefit

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It`s just to get some fresh cool air to the carb.....it`s an old trick.....with the FWD buick regal supercharged you can easily take out the drivers side headlite assembly and the aircleaner box is right there to get some fresh air during runs down the strip

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
Gotcha. So it goes to the air box (which I don't have). I thought it went to some type of snorkel type deal and to the turbo or carb. I see it mostly on GN's which is one reason I figured it was a turbo thing

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I have seen it on cutlass's with some form of supercharger, thought it was always just another form of cold air or scoop for it? I just know it wouldn't suite me for my daily driver because of normal weather and car washings.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
It`s just to get some fresh cool air to the carb.....it`s an old trick.....with the FWD buick regal supercharged you can easily take out the drivers side headlite assembly and the aircleaner box is right there to get some fresh air during runs down the strip

I used to do it on my old 2000 N/A Grand Prix. It really didn't make a difference with track times. The car always ran a consistent 15.8. I think I got one 15.6 out of that car and the head light happened to be out that time, don't know if that was the reason why it went quicker.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
dan2286 said:
pontiacgp said:

I used to do it on my old 2000 N/A Grand Prix. It really didn't make a difference with track times. The car always ran a consistent 15.8. I think I got one 15.6 out of that car and the head light happened to be out that time, don't know if that was the reason why it went quicker.

If you drove a Honduh that would be the case...not only did you save weight but you introduced an additional 55hp by way of forced induction :lol:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
fatload2 said:
dan2286 said:
pontiacgp said:

If you drove a Honduh that would be the case...not only did you save weight but you introduced an additional 55hp by way of forced induction :lol:

No weight savings, the headlight was in the back seat :lol:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
dan2286 said:
No weight savings, the headlight was in the back seat :lol:

no weight gain but if you placed it on the right side of the back seat you improved your weight bias and wedge....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor