Inground pool coping

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I know-first world problems here- We have an inground pool (from 1998) that was here when we bought the house in 2007. We replaced the liner in 2008, and It is in need of a new vinyl liner. That is in motion, but we want to refurbish the aluminum(?) coping around the edges prior to the install in a couple of weeks. The pool store has some sort of paint for this application, but it is insanely expensive. With the vast array of knowledge here at GBF, I thought maybe someone may have a suggestion for a suitable product. One option I am considering is Rust-oleum Marine Topside paint-

IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2660.jpg
Help me out guys.....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I know-first world problems here- We have an inground pool (from 1998) that was here when we bought the house in 2007. We replaced the liner in 2008, and It is in need of a new vinyl liner. That is in motion, but we want to refurbish the aluminum(?) coping around the edges prior to the install in a couple of weeks. The pool store has some sort of paint for this application, but it is insanely expensive. With the vast array of knowledge here at GBF, I thought maybe someone may have a suggestion for a suitable product. One option I am considering is Rust-oleum Marine Topside paint-

View attachment 221555 View attachment 221556
Help me out guys.....
While we never did that with the pool we owned, I'd offer 2 suggestions:

1) does it really NEED repainting? Or will a good pressure washing clean that finish up. With the liner coming out I can't see a downside to trying. If it removes any paint, well, you wanted to repaint anyways. If it cleans it up, you avoid the question/problem entirely.

2) are you salt-water, chlorine, or baquacil for treatment purposes? Whatever you use is going to get splashes on it, and, who knows how the particular paint would react to the salts or chemicals you use for water quality, so, look into that if not doing an extreme torture test of submerging a painted sample into the particular stuff you use and see what happens after.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
have you jumped on the Garage Journal forum to ask this question? there are a ton of people of people who can give you some answers, some of them even expert

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
have you jumped on the Garage Journal forum to ask this question? there are a ton of people of people who can give you some answers, some of them even expert
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't been on there for a while , but I will visit there later today.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
While we never did that with the pool we owned, I'd offer 2 suggestions:

1) does it really NEED repainting? Or will a good pressure washing clean that finish up. With the liner coming out I can't see a downside to trying. If it removes any paint, well, you wanted to repaint anyways. If it cleans it up, you avoid the question/problem entirely.

2) are you salt-water, chlorine, or baquacil for treatment purposes? Whatever you use is going to get splashes on it, and, who knows how the particular paint would react to the salts or chemicals you use for water quality, so, look into that if not doing an extreme torture test of submerging a painted sample into the particular stuff you use and see what happens after.
1) Yes, it's bare where the winter cover rubs.
2) Salt water, that's why I was considering the Marine paint.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor