Installing Thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
hey folks,

bad news somehow i guess i nicked the fuel line and has a small hole. Didn’t notice til i started it up and smelled it, then saw it leaking.

Would i have to replace the whole line? Something i can use to patch it up?

JB Weld? Solder?

Attachments

• B7FC0E80-08BB-4FC3-BAB1-7FCF9DE21C31.jpeg
    B7FC0E80-08BB-4FC3-BAB1-7FCF9DE21C31.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
DON'T put any heat near that thing. And if you do work on it, remove the pipe from the car first.

Many different paths to skin this cat. How I would do it-

To do a proper repair, you'll need to replace the fuel pipe from the pump to the carb to do it right.

In a pinch, and as a temporary move only, you can use a piece of 3/8" ID (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) hose rated for FUEL. Don't use any old hose, ensure it's compatible with gasoline use.

Remove the pipe from the car and drain it. Flush it out with acetone or alcohol or something that will evaporate quickly. Using a tubing cutter, you can cut a small bad section out of the line. If you're bold, a hacksaw would do but you run the risk of shaving bits and creating a small spark which could ruin your day if it's not devoid of fuel vapors. Plus, a tubing cutter is neater. It may take a few rolls around the tube to cut it, but there you go. A couple of hose clamps and the piece of tube and install on the car before you tighten the clamps. Ensure they're tight enough to prevent leaks. Check for leaks and fix as necessary.

Then, either find a new fuel pipe pre-bent or get one bent up to fit your car with the proper flare fittings. That's the best way to fix it permanently.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
DON'T put any heat near that thing. And if you do work on it, remove the pipe from the car first.

Many different paths to skin this cat. How I would do it-

To do a proper repair, you'll need to replace the fuel pipe from the pump to the carb to do it right.

In a pinch, and as a temporary move only, you can use a piece of 3/8" ID (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) hose rated for FUEL. Don't use any old hose, ensure it's compatible with gasoline use.

Remove the pipe from the car and drain it. Flush it out with acetone or alcohol or something that will evaporate quickly. Using a tubing cutter, you can cut a small bad section out of the line. If you're bold, a hacksaw would do but you run the risk of shaving bits and creating a small spark which could ruin your day if it's not devoid of fuel vapors. Plus, a tubing cutter is neater. It may take a few rolls around the tube to cut it, but there you go. A couple of hose clamps and the piece of tube and install on the car before you tighten the clamps. Ensure they're tight enough to prevent leaks. Check for leaks and fix as necessary.

Then, either find a new fuel pipe pre-bent or get one bent up to fit your car with the proper flare fittings. That's the best way to fix it permanently.
i don’t feel comfortable doing it, i’m gonna take it to a buddy’s shop so it can be done.

i appreciate the tips, i left it alone.

Last edited:

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
now im in search of a thermostat housing.

the one the parts store says is compatible with my GP (265 4.3L) looks very different.

I tried searching by the stamped number online couldn’t find anything

Attachments

• 66B86FF1-79FB-4364-A08A-30EF069858F5.jpeg
    66B86FF1-79FB-4364-A08A-30EF069858F5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 119
  • 58381025-1FE0-4C95-8766-FF0F5132CB06.jpeg
    58381025-1FE0-4C95-8766-FF0F5132CB06.jpeg
    1,001 KB · Views: 117

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
for a 4.3, I found p/n 14081294 superseded to 10105887. This apparently is TRW's version, p/n 26068. Does this look like what you would need?? I don't know. Not familiar with Pontiac.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
On that fuel line leak, you COULD take a small piece of fuel line hose, split it lengthwise, wrap it around the hole and put a worm clamp on it tight to hopefully stop the leak until you can get it fixed. I would NOT drive it except to the place that will fix it if absolutely necessary. Emergency use only.

Best thing is to take it off and take the line to a place that can make you a new one.

Reactions: 1 user

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
for a 4.3, I found p/n 14081294 superseded to 10105887. This apparently is TRW's version, p/n 26068. Does this look like what you would need?? I don't know. Not familiar with Pontiac.

that definitely looks like it!
thanks

im gonna check local junkyard too see if any luck

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
On that fuel line leak, you COULD take a small piece of fuel line hose, split it lengthwise, wrap it around the hole and put a worm clamp on it tight to hopefully stop the leak until you can get it fixed. I would NOT drive it except to the place that will fix it if absolutely necessary. Emergency use only.

Best thing is to take it off and take the line to a place that can make you a new one.
once i sort out the thermostat this will be next. im assuming when i take out the line a lot of gas will spill?

i might give it a try

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If there's a hole in it, there's not going to be any pressure left. It will spill a small volume perhaps from the hole level down to the fuel pump. So yeah, it's probably a good idea to work on it cold and have some rags/collection can to collect any drainage when taking it off.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

Did this with my lp power steering line, hasn't leaked for months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor