instrument cluster backlighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Hello today I replaced the Speedo cable on my Monte. I thought since im going to have it apart anyways why not install leds . Well I took out a bulb replaced it with a led and nothing. So I put the old bulb in and still nothing. But that same socket was working before I tried installing the led.

My question is what if anything did I **** up ? I have exactly zero clue how its all set up as far as electrical.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I have no idea, but did you undo any wiring and did you check your fuses?

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Haven't checked any fuses but all other sockets are working except the ones I tried the leds in.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Well, like I said, I don't know much about this application but I'd start by trying to clean the contacts up, check fuses, and make sure none of the wires are bad. I did have an issue with a front turn signal once. Cleaning up the electrical contacts in the socket seemed to do the job, but I did break one part of the wiring (a plug-in) in the process.

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
X2 on cleaning the contacts, especially where the guage cluster plugs into the wire harness. mine acted funny like this when i pulled it out also.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Also if your cluster housing isn't bolted tightly to the dash you won't have good contact with the connector on the back. don't forget to check the connections at the headlight switch.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Ok guess i'm taking apart the dash again next week lol. Have any of you guys done the led upgrade? If so what bulbs did u use?

Josh Hanna

Greasemonkey
Feb 3, 2013
Coral Spings FL
I used leds in my 1986 el camino and man what a difference, but when use leds you will not be able to use the dimmer.. small price to pay for better lighting... :D

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Never used leds, these are what I normally use,
Sylvania type 2825 lamps which are rated at 5 candle power. (Alternate part numbers: Wagner 17177, Philips 12961, GE W5W)

We recommend using the type 2825 lamps in this write-up. They are significantly brighter than the stock type 168 bulbs. You will want to turn down your brightness control (that's right.. turn down) when you use these to ensure bulb life and to reduce the amount of heat generated in the gauge cluster. The Sylvania 2825 bulb can be purchased at your local Pep-Boys or Autozone as well as other well stocked auto parts stores. In my case, I used one type 168 bulb, and 4 type 2825 bulbs to replace the 5 easy lamps on the cluster.

Quote borrowed from Montecarloss.com

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
81Regal said:
Never used leds, these are what I normally use,
Sylvania type 2825 lamps which are rated at 5 candle power. (Alternate part numbers: Wagner 17177, Philips 12961, GE W5W)

We recommend using the type 2825 lamps in this write-up. They are significantly brighter than the stock type 168 bulbs. You will want to turn down your brightness control (that's right.. turn down) when you use these to ensure bulb life and to reduce the amount of heat generated in the gauge cluster. The Sylvania 2825 bulb can be purchased at your local Pep-Boys or Autozone as well as other well stocked auto parts stores. In my case, I used one type 168 bulb, and 4 type 2825 bulbs to replace the 5 easy lamps on the cluster.

Quote borrowed from Montecarloss.com

Ok ty for the suggestions fellas i really do apriciate it allot .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor