Intercooled GN's or EFI 5L 5 spd Notchback Mustang's, which were faster bone stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Michael and I go back quite a ways and when some of us were experimenting with alcohol injection, he was playing with propane.

Poor b*st*rd was fighting an uphill battle and on an island mostly all alone.

He gained a lot of respect then for bucking the trend and making it work.

So I for one, put a value on his opinion.

Been there, likely still has the t-shirt.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So I for one, put a value on his opinion.
I do too, just only for the things he was there for.

Fixing up a deteriorating car that's 10 or 15 years old? Sure.

Modifying a car using the best technology around for the late 1990s? Absolutely.

Working on the cars back on day one or being around when a new GN was driving around fresh off the lot as working properly? If he wasn't there yet because he was a kid, which is when a lot of members first saw and fell in love with the cars? Well, you just weren't doing it yet.

Nothing wrong with that, just like I can't talk about buying a brand new first generation GTO and how it drove at the track a week after leaving the lot. Any experiences or hardships working on one when it was 10 or 15 years old would have nothing to do with when it was new.

Thats all.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I worked on the GN's when they were new back then and they had their issues. One of their main issues when new was heat from the turbo that was killing some of the electronic sensors and coil pack. Now is the GN faster than a Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed in stock form, not much, what the mustang owners found out very quickly that GN were dogs after a second street light race do to heat under the hood. There was a popular beach in Revere Mass back then we would go to, and you would see many GN's parked with their hoods open cooling off the engine while you had the mustang owners driving by them yelling need a tow. Those were good times

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I do too, just only for the things he was there for.

Fixing up a deteriorating car that's 10 or 15 years old? Sure.

Modifying a car using the best technology around for the late 1990s? Absolutely.

Working on the cars back on day one or being around when a new GN was driving around fresh off the lot as working properly? If he wasn't there yet because he was a kid, which is when a lot of members first saw and fell in love with the cars? Well, you just weren't doing it yet.

Nothing wrong with that, just like I can't talk about buying a brand new first generation GTO and how it drove at the track a week after leaving the lot. Any experiences or hardships working on one when it was 10 or 15 years old would have nothing to do with when it was new.

Thats all.
Can’t really disagree with any of this. 👍

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Don't be dissin K cars. They might have had terrible engine knock and were barely able to achieve 62mph on the highway, but the bench front seat was more than adequate for extra curricular activity.
Yeah, plenty of time for fun, waiting for a tow🤣. I took one on a test drive after we just rebuilt the 2.5 turd in it. Found all 4 struts/shocks were shot. It was like driving a a kid's rocking horse. Man were they terrible cars.

I worked on the GN's when they were new back then and they had their issues. One of their main issues when new was heat from the turbo that was killing some of the electronic sensors and coil pack. Now is the GN faster than a Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed in stock form, not much, what the mustang owners found out very quickly that GN were dogs after a second street light race do to heat under the hood. There was a popular beach in Revere Mass back then we would go to, and you would see many GN's parked with their hoods open cooling off the engine while you had the mustang owners driving by them yelling need a tow. Those were good times
Same reason the 6.5 Turbo Diesel had issues as well, under hood heat and poor placement of electronics. I didn't have much to do with them but heard of quite a few failures. The 7.3 Turbo had very few issues but then came the 6L and 6.4L😳. Curious how sensor placement was done on some of the new hot V twin turbo motors and how well they will be in 10+ years in somewhere like Arizona heat.

• Agree

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Yeah, plenty of time for fun, waiting for a tow🤣. I took one on a test drive after we just rebuilt the 2.5 turd in it. Found all 4 struts/shocks were shot. It was like driving a a kid's rocking horse. Man were they terrible cars.
The only thing it was good for was being flat enough on the bottom it only took 3 or 4 guys to push it off the top of a grader pile. Plus it drifted in snow amazingly well due to the inability to spin the front tires. Hahaha 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is how I imagine most first time Buick owners trying to make sense of their purchase... more misinformation.

Admittedly he knows what he doesn't know and acknowledges what he doesn't know. Pity him when it goes out of tune or blows up: $$$.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
make with the lynn marsh road stories with kelly's roast beef stained t-shirts..

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
make with the lynn marsh road stories with kelly's roast beef stained t-shirts..
I know about those stories; Revere beach was a hopping place on Friday and Saturday nights then when it was midnight, we would be street racing on the parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor