Interior dye

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
See how it all matches, lol
i had to buy a black console lid ( council) lol you can tell it’s sprayed. It’s GM but all i. Luke find in the 90’s was black. I’m still looking for an OG camel one. It’s out there, some schmo has a stack under his bed.
I think the biggest issue with using an interior paint is how you spray it. Aerosol cans usually spray it out too thick. Some folks spray multiple coats on plastic parts and fill in the grain. Looks like crap. I use two detail guns. One for the adhesion promoter and one for color. The detail guns atomize the SEM much finer. One light coat of adhesion promoter and two super light coats of color.
I sprayed the vinyl on the top of the rear door in my wagon. SEM tried to custom match the color to a piece of the GM vinyl from the seat that I sent them. Its not 100% but in my opinion its pretty close.

1625020625587.png

Reactions: 4 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Mixing by eye will always be truer than mixing by formula or by computer (scanning color, then generate formula)

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Wow um I guess I would paint it and forget about it and drive it, I'm not worried some one is going to nit pick the plastic panels in the back seat near the bottom by the carpet doesn't match the kick panel in the front with the dash shadow when its parked facing north. If it all matches when I painted it and looks like mikesters that's great enough for me

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
well that was 20 minutes wasted I can't get back...:sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Caballero1981

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2016
Does anyone know a good product for stripping old paint off plastic trim? A previous owner painted some of the interior poorly and I want to redo it

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Does anyone know a good product for stripping old paint off plastic trim? A previous owner painted some of the interior poorly and I want to redo it
Years ago I just soaked the parts I had to strip in hot water. They were small parts though.

Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
He sprayed it on new PCs. It comes off. I’m not much on rattle can crap.
one problem and you see it at shows, the i teror PCs all didn’t match, these guys spray the whole interior so it’s a dipped look. Looks bad. I found a headliner that was a shade off, it looks factory.
me, I hunt down nOS PCs, Only repop is the headliner, you can’t find a GM with good foam, I found a GM camel pkg tray, The sprayed one looks like crap. The vinyl does t match the cardboard If you look at a real nos pc.
find me some NOS Pontiac interior lol 1979 lemans! and in return I'll help you.

Lukeschwtz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2018
Vinyl Pro of Western PA is an excellent source for all interior restoration and repairs. Their customer service is excellent, they carry all SEM products and they can mix any color you want.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor