Interior paint colors and what paint to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
FYI, I did all the seat trim, kick panels, all the headliner trim, A pillars, the back panels on both sides, the shoulder harness covers, and the right side armrest in one color. The console and dash are original but I did spray the console lid. The dash and console were a slightly different shade of blue from the factory.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I couldn't find SEM in a spray can to match my burgundy but Gbodyparts had their own that matched perfectly.
I painted the gauge panel I made that is mounted below to match the dash.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you really want an exact match and you intend on spraying it through a gun SEM offers a free matching service. I just had a formula made for a color that I might use in my wagon. Sent them a door panel and they matched it 100%.

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
20161013_173826.jpg
Rattle can interior.

Reactions: 1 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
If you really want an exact match and you intend on spraying it through a gun SEM offers a free matching service. I just had a formula made for a color that I might use in my wagon. Sent them a door panel and they matched it 100%.
You where correct the paint code is 24 light blue. You think SEM will have that color?

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
You where correct the paint code is 24 light blue. You think SEM will have that color?
I couldn't find SEM in a spray can to match my burgundy but Gbodyparts had their own that matched perfectly.
I painted the gauge panel I made that is mounted below to match the dash.

I looked on their site and found the paint. Is it a aerosol spray paint/rattle can or is it something ill need a HVLP gun for?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I looked on their site and found the paint. Is it a aerosol spray paint/rattle can or is it something ill need a HVLP gun for?
I bought just the spray can, I emailed Brian the year and make/model and also sent him a picture of my dash to show the color I was trying to match and I was emailed the proper part number to order it

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You "might" get lucky as far as a match with their aerosol color Wedgewood Blue. Its on the aerosol color chart. To me it looks brighter but its tough to judge by a picture on a screen.
The interior I did for my friends 79 Camaro is the same color code. You can get a good idea of what it looks like I guess. I think it all depends how far you want to take this car. I would do the dash in a darker blue just to break up the color a bit but thats personal preference. Spray cans are a bit cheaper of course but a wagon has a lot of area to cover. I used a half gallon when I did my parts and I still need to do the doors and parts of the rear seat. In my area SEM Color Coat is $260 a gallon. Theres also SEM Soap, SEM Vinyl and Plastic Prep, adhesion promoter. It adds up quickly. Some guys will say that you dont need all the stuff I use but I look at it one way. Theres a lot of time involved taking it all apart, cleaning it, spraying it and finally putting it back together. Plus the fact that its old plastic that lost a lot of its flexibility years ago. I only want to do it one time. LOL
11254104_10207062636671452_8938307923636371861_n.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here is what PPG has listed for your 24 Light Blue. They list the dash as Dark blue.
All but the dash: 14782 (semi gloss), the dash: 15120 (semi gloss)/15149 (flat). Can be mixed in Specialty Performance line, Duracryl Lacquer, Deltron, & Shop Line. I have had great results with PPG on plastic & vinyl parts.
Keep in mind that with color fade from the sun & environmental conditions, age, changes in color formulas getting an 100% match isn't always easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor