IROC Wagon Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Scott, looking good! I like the rubber covers for the replacement solenoids. I have never seen those before. I have about 7 solenoids in various shapes that I have to week through to get the best looking and function 4.

The way you did the rear door window run channel is great, and us wagon guys appreciate the detail and the pictures. Between you, Quinn, Jack and Blake, I feel like a slacker. :friday:

I see those door bellows cleaned up, I have to get out there and use the lacquer thinner on mine.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If this works in the front as well I could kiss you, Scott!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
No, I'm the slacker. 'What did you do to your G-body today?' - looked at it sitting in the driveway under a car cover.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Thank you gentlemen,

Jack, Sometimes there's an advantage to not being first, except for at the race track of course. The thing is, I just want to help the people that so often help me in this deal. Hell, I didn't think of any of this, GM did, I'm just trying to copy it to the best of my ability. Not once, well maybe once, that I've asked for something on this site did I not get it back in spades. If a few more folks get their cars going from what we do here, then we're all ahead. Thanks for your continued support.

Jim, You're no slacker, I've seen what you've been up to. Family first is the way I had laid out to me. Not always easy but generally directionally correct.

Quinn, Happy to help if I can.

Mike, When I get to the front doors I'll be sure to take lots of clear photos. Kisses are OK but no tongue there big boy.

Having said all that, which company in everyones opinion, makes the best belt line sweeps? Ordered a set from JEG's and they cancelled my order. G-Bodyparts.com says they have the closest reproductions to factory? Anybody verify that?

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
I'm not sure of the window sweeps that G-Body Parts carry, but I think Fairchild makes the majority of them, if I'm not mistaken. In other words, they're the main supplier of them.

• Winner

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jim, You're no slacker, I've seen what you've been up to. Family first is the way I had laid out to me. Not always easy but generally directionally correct.

You are right there! I would be interested to see what the reviews are on the different window sweeps out there. I'll be ordering mine soon.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

You are right there! I would be interested to see what the reviews are on the different window sweeps out there. I'll be ordering mine soon.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Guys, I would suggest shopping around for the best price, especially if they're all made by the same company. .

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Scott, thanks very much for all of your hard work, and for posting the detailed photos. As you've already found out, it will benefit a number of folks here.

• Agree

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, here's the thing on the belt line, dew sweeps or whatever the heck the correct industry term is for these things. My parts guy says GM calls them sealing strips.

I know for sure there are three different configurations of these sweeps available, flat bead, round bead and no bead. What I don't know is which version closest resembles the factory seal. I wanna say it's round bead. This is one of those things from restoring cars that tends to cloud my judgment and ultimately my wallet. I have to have the pieces that are as close to the Generals parts as are available.

Jack's right, if they were all the same then we would be basically price shopping, but I'm not sure all of the available pieces are the same.

Below is what G-Body parts says about their belt line/dew sweeps.

"After years of promoting only GM seals we have found a few manufacturers who were able to get the closest possible quality of original GM seals. While not 100% dead on there are some items that we have taken to shows & watch the customer pick an aftermarket seal over the GM. I have had a few experts in our fields say that is about as close as your going to get with out being GM.

We believe GM is GM and has made these seals for 25+ years. What we are doing is giving you, the customer, options. While we do not guarantee these seals, we thought enough of them to carry them. We have installed & tested them and we feel for the money the seals are tough to beat.

So, if you can't swing the price of the New GM seals and are looking for a suitable replacement, look no further. The seals we are carrying are manufactured by 2 different companies we have chosen after a lot of research & development and we feel confident about this product."

Another company has this to say.

OUTER WINDOW SWEEP SEALS NEW SET 4 78-83 MALIBU 4 DOOR / WAGON. THESE HAVE A CHROME BEAD.

Also states in the description for El Camino and Two Doors

NEW 78-87 El Camino, Malibu 2 door, Monte Carlo 2 DOOR (NOT SS OR LS)

THESE HAVE OEM STYLE CHROME BEAD. OUTER ONES FOR MONTE CARLO SS/LS DO NOT.

And yet another style

INNER AND OUTER Door Window Sweeps Seals Rubbers. NEW 83-88 Monte Carlo SS/ LS. WILL ALSO FIT 78-87 EL CAMINO & MALIBU.

BIDDING ON A SET OF 4.. THESE HAVE NO CHROME BEADING.

Mikes Montes only has two door currently

One Of The Most Critical Replacement Parts For Your Car

• Seals Door And Door Panel To The Door Glass
  • Correct Reproduction 2 inner sweeps and 2 outer left and right included
  • Complete Set Of Inners & Outers
  • Correct Rubber Blade And ROUND Stainless Steel Bead
  • Replaces Often Sun Cracked, Severely Worn Or Shrunken Window Felts
  • Critical For Proper Water Protection For Door Internals
  • Help Save Door Shell, Window Regulator And Other Door Internals From Severe And Costly Rust Damage
Repops

1981-83 Chevy Malibu 4 Door and also 78-83 Wagon Outers Only Brand New Reproduction Window Felt Weatherstrip Kit (4 pcs)

This 4 piece reproduction, authentic style, window felt weatherstrip kit is made in the USA with very high quality materials, just like original. Does both doors, and fits 1981-83 Chevy Malibu 4 Door and also 78-83 Wagon Outers Only. Sometimes called an anti-rattle kit, sweeps, cat whiskers or fuzzies, this kit keeps windows from rattling by holding them more firmly in place and stops water from leaking into doors when windows are rolled up and down. Truly the best replacement window seals made today. Professionally hand crafted in the USA by Repops #CH313A

And there you have it. Mud in the water. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor