Is my Cutlass Supreme Brougham a Calais?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanOrbanski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Manitoba, Canada
I can't locate any documentation that you could order a Supreme with a Calais header and grilles. Calais was more than just the nose. Look for these clues...
"The Cutlass Calais used essentially the same suspension as the 4-4-2, but it also came standard with several other performance and touring options, including full instrumentation, an aluminum spoked sport steering wheel, reclining front bucket seats and a center console with floor shifter."
I see none of the interior cues in the photos. I see the door guard trim is missing on the RF fender and the paint even looks mismatched. Hood to header fit is poor at the front too. I'm thinking it was in an accident.

After re looking over the pictures you can really tell the front passenger fender has been repainted, and repainted terribly! The paint isn’t even matching the passenger door, I guess things I’ve over looked. I just love the car so much, I’m more concerned with her pushing some nice HP than looking like a show car.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome from Regina SK!
Certainly looks like a great starting point!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DylanOrbanski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Manitoba, Canada
Agreed. Great looking starting point.

Yeah I got a nice 350HP small block sitting in the garage so I’m gonna toss that in, probably gonna go through Turbo350 while it’s out too. The main thing i wanna do is change up that rear end, with a posi and a set of 3.73s, only thing is I’ve read the 7.5” rear ends are kinda junk, but I’m sure for under 400hp it should be okay

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Keep it like it is. The 'ice tray' grill looks great.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
That’s a sweet looking Cutlass! Was your an actual Calais? Or a W-30? I really like the white and red 2 tone, I honestly hate my tan/brown paint on my car aha
thank you, i built that car 30 years ago. it started out as a true calais, reclining buckets, console, gauges and all. red interior and red exterior with vinyl top. the vinyl top blew off, literally, one day. so being single and rich, lol, i had it painted in a factory style two tone with the red and white you see. then i traded off for something else. what an idiot.
i like your two tone paint, with the camel brown and white.
i currently have two 79 calais'. one is camel brown with vinyl top and the is red with vinyl top.
you have a great looking car and a great base to start from. enjoy yourself.
joe

DylanOrbanski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2017
Manitoba, Canada
thank you, i built that car 30 years ago. it started out as a true calais, reclining buckets, console, gauges and all. red interior and red exterior with vinyl top. the vinyl top blew off, literally, one day. so being single and rich, lol, i had it painted in a factory style two tone with the red and white you see. then i traded off for something else. what an idiot.
i like your two tone paint, with the camel brown and white.
i currently have two 79 calais'. one is camel brown with vinyl top and the is red with vinyl top.
you have a great looking car and a great base to start from. enjoy yourself.
joe

It really was nice looking with the red/white, I’m quite happy my car doesn’t have the vinyl top, maybe it did at one point but it doesn’t now. My Cutlass sat under a row of big spruce trees for 5 years before I went to the guys house and offered him 2500$ for the car, I drove past the car every time I went to grandparents and it was painful to see it sit and sit over the years. The spruce trees protected the car from alot of sun damage but the tree sap and Manitoba winters really destroyed the paint, the whole top over the cabin is coved in hairline paint cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor