is primer needed when paintin a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the body's straight and you need no bodywork, just wetsand the whole car and use a sealer before you shoot your paint. if you do need to do some bodywork, just spot prime the those areas, I'd stay away from Lacquer primers and use a good 2K primer, no need to prime the whole car if thats what your saying. but it's always smart to use shoot a sealer over the whole car before you paint, i believe you can get a white sealer too, after you shoot your sealer, you can shoot your paint right after

My uncle owns a body & paint shop...If you are stripping it down at all or any bodywork use a primer. If you are just basically touching it up, then as long as you blend it all right it should be fine with no primer. Basically same as last post said.

It depends on the paint. For example, it's not a good idea to spray urethane directly on top of laquer. If you look at the data sheets that come with the paint they will tell you what they can be painted over and what type of primer or sealer to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor