Is this part important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hi all,
Is the part on the picture important, what it is called, what is the role and where to buy it?
It is missing on my 78 Monte :roll:
I took the picture from member 87LS/88SS, very nice car, thanks for the pic :)

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 890

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
It is an air dam - GM prob has an official name for it. It works (when the car is moving) by creating high air pressure at the front of it and creating low air pressure behind it. The low pressure forces air through the radiator - which makes the radiator more efficient. At high speeds the radiator can sometimes act like a "wall" and receive less air flow.

I would not worry about it unless you are having overheating issues, particularly at when you are moving. Mine is gone.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
LS1GN said:
I would not worry about it unless you are having overheating issues, particularly at when you are moving. Mine is gone.
x2. Mine was cracked so I removed it when I bought the car 2 years ago. No problems here!

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
Gm used a few different air dams on the G-bodys, one has curved edges (I think thats a later Monte) one is noticably shorter in length, thats commonly found on early Malibu's and early Montes, and one slightly longer that was found mostly on Cutlass's. Not sure what style the Gran Prix or Grand National had.
Brakeairdam014.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
IIRC the aluminum core supports also have a specific air dam could be wrong though...if your overheating though and it's missing the part then i would install one. Never seen a curved one though... :wink:

rack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hi guys,

Thanks for reply.
I just ask of curiosity.
I don't think I am overheating. The gauge arrow stays in the center, pointing 220 and don't go further. Is it normal temp?
It is during the summer, at about 30 Celsius.

Thanks,
Ivo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor