Is this regal a Clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deshaun Frazier

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2017
Also, about whether or not it's a turbo, the pre-'86 cars didn't have intercoolers. '86 and '87 did. That's something to look for too.

EDIT: One last thought; if she's in decent shape and the asking price is decent then I personally wouldn't worry about what it truly is. In my eyes, at the end of the day, a clean Regal with a turbo is a clean Regal with a turbo. Even if it's a Grand National.
It was a 87 and that was my same thought just wanted to know what I was gettin into

Deshaun Frazier

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2017
Taillights are 84 to 87 style. What does it say on the for sale sign.
My '87 Regal, when stock, was a Y56 "T Package" Regal. Mine had an Oldsmobile 307 V8 (other engines available) and chrome trim (black-out was a separate option) with aluminum "T-Type" style wheels. I also had the same T badges on the fender and the horn button. Not "T-type." Just "T." Check the trunk sticker if you can for codes. I also had identical style "REGAL" badges to the rear quarters. And if I remember correctly, 1987 "T package cars" also received the "Touring suspension" as part of the package. This is pretty much the T-type suspension. Check for decent sized front and rear swaybars.
Lastly, I see this car has a "third eye" brake light inside, like all of the later G-bodies. All this being said, I have to wonder if this is a later '80s Regal (thinking '87) that's had the front fascia replaced at some point.
helped me the most appreciate that. His tires had the T on caps but the horn was missing from what your telling me it checks out thank

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
If its an '87, what is the Vin?

1G4GJ117 is a Turbo car.

If its 1G4GJ11 and then Not a 7, its not a turbo car.

If its a "Y" its a 307 car

If the 10th digit is an H, its an '87.

Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Looks like a solid Regal T (non-turbo, Olds 307) car to me

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My '87 Regal, when stock, was a Y56 "T Package" Regal. Mine had an Oldsmobile 307 V8 (other engines available) and chrome trim (black-out was a separate option) with aluminum "T-Type" style wheels. I also had the same T badges on the fender and the horn button. Not "T-type." Just "T." Check the trunk sticker if you can for codes. I also had identical style "REGAL" badges to the rear quarters. And if I remember correctly, 1987 "T package cars" also received the "Touring suspension" as part of the package. This is pretty much the T-type suspension. Check for decent sized front and rear swaybars.
Lastly, I see this car has a "third eye" brake light inside, like all of the later G-bodies. All this being said, I have to wonder if this is a later '80s Regal (thinking '87) that's had the front fascia replaced at some point.
Yeah, in 87 they dropped the "T Type" and switched it to "Turbo T or just T (if you checked the wrong box ;) ". Also, 87 was the only year you could've gotten a Regal Limited with the LC2 Turbo V6. Those are pretty rare, I almost want one over a GN just because it's an oddball. landau top, pillow top 60/40 bench, column shift, wire hubcaps, and 245hp on 13PSI. :D

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You'd be surprised how much some people don't know about their own cars. I've seen a couple Regals on Craigslist that have all the fixins of the 81-83 cars inside and out, but they claim they're 84-87 cars. You also get the freaks that think just because they murder out their SBC regal (or god forbid rip out the Turbo V6 and 200r4 for a 350/TH350 combo) and still have the gall to claim it's a GN and ask GN prices. The later tail lights are suspicious. A dead giveaway for me would be the dash. The 78-83 cars had that ugly silver square gauge cluster and dual knob radio, 84-87 had the large sweeping black and white gauge cluster with a fuel gauge as the only other mechanical gauge and the large black radios.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor