Is this the sign of a dead battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you had tested the battery when the problem first came up your alternator may have been good. Running a car with a bad battery puts strain on the alternator and could damage it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
11.28 volts with the car running? Then your alternator is not charging. Shouldbe over 12 volts, like 13, 14 volts. Your battery was not charged enough in two minutes. To test amps you need an amp meter or load tester. A way to test your altinator is, when engine is running take the positive cable off the battery. If the engine stays running then your altinator is putting out enough voltage to keep the car running. Then take the battery some were and have it tested. Hope this makes sense and good luck.
Unhooked the positive cable from the battery with the car running and the car died

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
You think you could borrow a battery load tester from your autoparts store? That would give you a quick answer. It definetly sounds like a bad cell in the battery to me. This isn't an AGM battery correct?
I might be able to tomorrow, most are probably closed today. I got my grandfather coming over with a hydrometer to test all of the cells in the battery tho

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Your battery is not the culprit of your issues based on the info you provided above. It may be worn out and in need of a replacement, but #4 above means your alternator is bad or you have a wiring issue. If your battery was the issue and the alternator and wiring were good, then it would be charging in the 14-16 range. Comment 4 means you NEED an alternator if you charging light in the dash is functioning.

Regarding your question of 'is 11.28 volts not enough to get a car going', the answer is yes and no. Voltage plays a very small role in getting the starter to turn the motor over - amperage (power) is what turns the motor over. The only way, that I know of, to check a battery's amperage is to load test it. Obviously you've discovered that 11.28 volts wouldn't start your motor, but a good battery (with plenty of amps) will start it at 10.5 volts. There is a correlation between amps and voltage in a car charging system due to how the system is designed and functions, but not in most other situations. Think about a little 9 volt dual post battery that runs bunches of SMALL handheld electrical devices. If you hook two of them up in series, then you have 18 volts, but obviously they will not start your motor. Amperage is what is needed. Any way - enough of that.

When you take the alternator out, check all connections and wiring at the alternator, starter, block, and battery. Repair anything that is loose, overly corroded or melted. Good luck - Jim.

p.s. - do you have an idiot light or voltmeter in the dash?
Wow man, thanks for the wealth of info, it's much appreciated. And I do have a voltmeter in the dash. It's been reading between like 8 and 12 volts, usually closer to 8.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
if you had tested the battery when the problem first came up your alternator may have been good. Running a car with a bad battery puts strain on the alternator and could damage it
Damn, that's great news lol. Well, no I know for next time. Thanks

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow man, thanks for the wealth of info, it's much appreciated. And I do have a voltmeter in the dash. It's been reading between like 8 and 12 volts, usually closer to 8.

There's you sign - lol. You can pickup an alternator for these cars for well under $50 - maybe not the highest quality, but will get you going. And there is an excellent chance that your battery is fine, but repeat - chance.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
There's you sign - lol. You can pickup an alternator for these cars for well under $50 - maybe not the highest quality, but will get you going. And there is an excellent chance that your battery is fine, but repeat - chance.
I just replaced the alternator this past summer, it's it more than a few months old. I hope it's not the problem

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Just used a hydrometer. 3 out of 6 cells are bad. So it's the battery. Nowhere in town is open today except Autozone, but they are the worst so I'll wait till tomorrow to go to advance auto. Thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor