Is this transmission taking a dump? Or is this an easy fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey guys,

I posted about this about a month or two ago and you all helped me solve it fast, I got the car to the shop and she was fixed in no time. No it's having the same issues again, but it seems like it's not the same reason.

It's a 1986 el Camino with a 200r4. It shifts in one direction (Park to reverse to neutral to 4-1) but it doesn't shift back the other way. I have to grab the steering column and spin it to get it back into park.

Here are some videos and pictures showing what I mean:
The last time, the cable from the shifter to the side of the transmission broke. I was able to pull the cable up all the way through to the cab. This time it seems like the cable is firm in place, it looks fine from both ends. Any other ideas what could be causing this problem?

Thanks so much!

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Ended up being the outer jacket of that cable not staying still. Secured it and it works fine again!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor