BUILD THREAD It Has Begun!

Time for heart transplant! Any chance you can re-stock that TH400 and get a 4L80e? Or will you put 2.73 or 3.08 gear?

Can't really return the transmission. Too far away from any of the physical stores and don't want to deal with the shipping costs. I honestly am not sure yet about my direction for the rear other than taking it real easy for a while lol. I didn't think a lot of things over and do as much research as I should have before starting this. It has been a huge learning experience. I was the ignorant one who just thought GM V8 to GM V8 swap and a turbo 350 was all plug and play. I'm definitely super grateful to all of you who've commented and given advice and opinions. Also, very thankful to my Dad (you can see his belly in the one pic lol). He has a lot of experience on the older GMs, although most were Chevys. It's been probably close to 25 years since he's messed with any of the older cars though, so alot is coming back as we're doing this. "I can't f'n believe how much metric s#!t is on this thing." - My Dad (2024)

With that TH350 (3spd) you'll be taching about mid to upper 3's at 80 ish mph with a 26" tire if you're running high 2's / low 3's in the rear end.
My BluePrint engine ran higher HP than advertised as the Dyno sheet said 453HP but was advertised at 436. I'm sure about 50 ish HP is lost by the time it makes it through the TH400 and to the wheels. Your 350 will probably be a bit higher HP also but the TH350 will rob a bit by the time it hits the wheels.

Last edited:
I bought mine full dressed so it came with intake, carb, distributor and fuel pump. I just had to add the accessories to the front of the block. I used Patriot ceramic coated headers because the price was right however, be prepared to “make them fit”. I ordered them for a 79 Malibu and they needed a lot of persuasion to fit. But they look good.

1725502335708.jpeg

But they look good.
Ah, that they do! I may have to forgo headers and do manifolds right now. Budget really only had engine and transmission in mind. Trying to maybe eek out something like brakes if I can. Plus, colder weather is on the way. I can rethink some and make a better plan for the rear, exhaust, etc.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
I was GM Pontiac tech early mid 80's so worked on these when new. Because GM went with the "Corporate Engine" which was the Chevy 305, the holes for installing the engine mounts in your frame should already be drilled. 1982 was when metric bolts took over for the most part, still a few places had SAE, so still had to have MM and INCH sockets sets to work on anything.

I think there still is a GP with a good fender down here, I'll have to check and post some pics.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor