It's a good day for the Gbody community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
if you guys can come up with a quality replacement door for the regals and cutlasses for a decent price. at least you have a big market right there because even show room gbodies can have trouble there. Anything more than say 150 dollars a door, your going to be pushing your luck id say. The quarters on these cars hold up pretty well but ive noticed a pillars on t-top cars toward the bottom can rot out. also roof skins are another common area on real mistreated cars. go to these areas with a couple of easy selling performance and replacement hoods and I think you'll be off to a good start. Also bumper fillers across the board!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
thedoctorisin said:
Siiick! Any thoughts on fiberglass body panels?

fiberglass body panels became illegal for street use in several states very recently (citing 'if the original panel was metal fiberglass cannot be substituted' ) and have been mostly discontinued by US mfr. I was going to purchase a fiberglass trunk lid for my 79 MC off dixiemontecarlo and I came back 2 months later to buy it - wasnt there. I called up to purchase it on the phone thinking the page just expired and they explained to me why they cancelled it and said all the remaining ones had rapidly sold out at an alarming rate within a few days of cancellation. Be aware of your state laws if you have to pass vehicle inspections yearly, a good person to ask about this is your insurance agent. Obviously if you do your own repairs you could easily just put the OG panels on for inspection and remove them after I guess :mrgreen: As for me, theres no inspection at all around here so I was pissed off that I couldnt get the trunk. The hinges on that car were shot, and I wanted to have an electric opening trunk/ mechanical one but the people who had the motor told me that the 78-80 trunk was about 20 pounds too heavy for it!

I'm a little off topic I guess -

Thanks to toby P a lot of people appreciate what you're doing and I hope you are getting a website with a nice design together so that people become aware of you in case these test panels really do work out and get slotted for production. While youre working w/ these manufacturers maybe you can see about the euro - clips. I've seen clear aftermarket euro-clip turn signals with modern clear headlight panel but have not seen any reproduction versions of the original out there. Just an idea

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Brick442 said:
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! Great news.

I'm hoping to see the Regal/Cutlass complete doors one day! Hoods also.

I'd love to see the doors. Truth is they are too expensive. The door need a dozen tools to make up. The door has much mass and the price to get these tools made will cost more that most peoples homes. We will have quality die formed patch panels and door skins available so the cost will not be as expensive. As said before, I'd like to make a door, but to put the cost of the tooling into the door would be too expensive for us.

As for the hood. Notice that I have a GN hood on that Regal? That is the first hood we will create. I think people want the GN hood in place of their original since it has a cowl, as is just good looking. Notice the trunk lid as well.... :wink:

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
-83MONTESS- said:
Nice! Complete, affordable doors would definatley sell!!!

I know they would. If we speak about our cars the demand will occur, For now just quality patch panels so we can afford to make the doors solid again.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
thedoctorisin said:
Siiick! Any thoughts on fiberglass body panels?

Probably not due to certain states regulations. Also this is a HUGE undertaking that is very expensive so we are trying to take a few step at a time where the demand is there.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Fader said:
Sweet...like you said tho...without a decent demand I'm sure parts like doors would cost thousands unless you were making dozens at a time...I bet doors & t.top sections would be top sellers....I could use each right now!

My guess is a prototype in 6-7 months.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
That 4 door guy said:
Dashboard and panels along with possibly repro frames....maybe we can get enough demand for consoles????

Huge cost in dashboards. There are many still out there to be traded and sold. When that dries up we repro.

Frames,,,,,to much to ship them here.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Blake B said:
it would be nice to not have to buy a whole parts car just for a few parts i need. give us 3rd gens some love.

I know there is another manufacturer,,,,that i am not in charge of that is producing products for your car currently.

We must get the word out to get our cars popular again.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
clean8485 said:
Any possibility of any body panels for Grand Prixs? I have a 2+2 that will need some TLC.

I knew that someone would come to me with this question. We thought about the Grand Prix. In all honesty if we got all owners together and they decided to buy panels that they needed the MFG and my company would tool. If you feel that this type of commitment could exist we could tool. It's all numbers for people to make money. If I cannot convice the MFG that there is enough demand it will not go forward.

Again, Talk about our cars. Get people interested in them. Like I say in all my travels. It is truly the last RWD car that you can throw a detroit diesel in. This line of cars is affordable, sleek, comfortable to drive and there are still alot of them around. Past 1987-1988 most all cars turned FWD, or ricer.

I had a guy measuruing my counter tops today and walked out to my garage and about had a heart attack. First words out of his mouth..... "I had one of those Cutlass Supremes. I loved that car, so many memories." Ends up being he wrecked it 6 years ago didnt realize what he had and sold his Hurst Olds to another person for $600.00

I told him to get it back asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor