It's a good day for the Gbody community

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Toby, thanks very much for your response. I know that Grand Prix parts are going to be low volume, compared to other G bodies. Just thought I'd ask anyway-you never know what you'll find out. Thanks again for your efforts.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Peter said:
if you guys can come up with a quality replacement door for the regals and cutlasses for a decent price. at least you have a big market right there because even show room gbodies can have trouble there. Anything more than say 150 dollars a door, your going to be pushing your luck id say.

You can't possibly be serious.

Try pricing a door shell for a newer car, almost all of them are WAY over $1000...and they have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of production cars to amortize that cost over.

I knew this would happen....people cried and cried for Malibu/Camino doors, and when they became available for $450+, VERY few would step up to the plate.

Still lots of nice doors in the yards here for pretty much all Gs other than Chevrolets, but nobody wants to pay enough to make it worth the time to pull, package, and ship them.

People will spend untold thousands on a drivetrain, but expect body parts, body labor, and paint for next to nothing. :wtf:

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Ribbedroof said:
Peter said:
if you guys can come up with a quality replacement door for the regals and cutlasses for a decent price. at least you have a big market right there because even show room gbodies can have trouble there. Anything more than say 150 dollars a door, your going to be pushing your luck id say.

You can't possibly be serious.

Try pricing a door shell for a newer car, almost all of them are WAY over $1000...and they have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of production cars to amortize that cost over.

I knew this would happen....people cried and cried for Malibu/Camino doors, and when they became available for $450+, VERY few would step up to the plate.

Still lots of nice doors in the yards here for pretty much all Gs other than Chevrolets, but nobody wants to pay enough to make it worth the time to pull, package, and ship them.

People will spend untold thousands on a drivetrain, but expect body parts, body labor, and paint for next to nothing. :wtf:

where are there good doors for g's readily in junk yards, because that is far from the truth

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
People will spend untold thousands on a drivetrain, but expect body parts, body labor, and paint for next to nothing. :wtf:[/quote]

where are there good doors for g's readily in junk yards, because that is far from the truth[/quote]

In the south there are some availability. But where you are from it is slim pickings. Your best bet will be to get a quality patch I am creating and fixing your door. This way you can stay in the "cheap cheerful" range and have a final solution to the issue.

This is exactly what I am going to do. I have already replaced door pins...EXTREMELY IMPORTANT for fit, and the operation of the door and the new seals I put in. I'll cut my rust out and make the door solid again. What is nice is the rocker trim will more than likey hide any marks made by the patch panel If I attempt to do this on my own. I have a plasma cutter and MIG so I will attempt.

These new door pins are the most overlooked, easy to fix and cheap fix I have come across during my resto. Before I replaced the pins the seals leaked a bit because of door sag. I blamed Soffseal. Even though my door closed nicely the new pins and bushings picked the door up 1/8" and let the widow hit the seal correctly. Plus the door close like they are on ball bearing hinges now. No longer a need to slam the door.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
clean8485 said:
Toby, thanks very much for your response. I know that Grand Prix parts are going to be low volume, compared to other G bodies. Just thought I'd ask anyway-you never know what you'll find out. Thanks again for your efforts.
I have a grand prix 2 + 2 myself. I also picked up another Grand prix for $1,000.00 this week. Parts car but rust free. I have the NOS parts for that GP as well. Quarter panels, door skins, fenders, hard top roof, A-pillars etc..
We keep a folder on requests. The best thing to do is get all the Grand prix people together & e-mail us with what you really need,not a wish list. The 2+2 crowd is like a cult following. 75% I believe are still on the road, taged, & insured. Not counting which ones are not. Toby will have to re-check this data as I do not have it in front of me.
I'm going to use a recent example. They had a demand for a certain quarter panel. Well this group got together names & lists of people that wanted these quarter panels. Toby's company obtained NOS parts & will now be building these. They saw X amount of people's names. They new that in reality on Y amount would buy these at Z price. But it was enough to move forward..
This also goes for any other Gbody out there. If there are enough requests for a part They can figure out this will sell.
Toby if any info I gave is incorrect let me know. I am going by memory.
I can set up a seperate e-mail for requests. We have done this for the moon roof seals as well. We knew there was a demand & when people call we put you on the list. This helps with the pre sales & we have moved forward with these items.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Wow I'm surprised about the doors, being that used Regal/Cutlass doors with light surface rust go for $150—I'd happily pay around $500 for a brand new door...but that's just me.

Heck, since I picked up a set a NOS taillight bezels for $300 (just the bezels without taillight assembly!), I'd expect the doors to be way more.

Sounds like an interesting project, thanks for your hard work!

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
pontiacgp said:
so it's order first before the parts are made?
No not at all. It is to show where the demand is. It is a request. But we need real world info. Put yourself in some one elses shoes financially.
Lets say you need front end parts
Another needs rear end parts
another needs roof parts
20 people need doors.
It shows where to start so $ can be made tro re-invest into the next product line.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
Brick442 said:
Wow I'm surprised about the doors, being that used Regal/Cutlass doors with light surface rust go for $150—I'd happily pay around $500 for a brand new door...but that's just me.

Heck, since I picked up a set a NOS taillight bezels for $300 (just the bezels without taillight assembly!), I'd expect the doors to be way more.

Sounds like an interesting project, thanks for your hard work!

Used doors original paint no rust or minimal sell for $450 a side on average. I have seen them down south for less but up in Conn. or Mass. go for crazy $.

I tried to explain that people pay crazy $ on some parts & they need to be reproduced. I have a set of Red lenses for a Buick I paid $450 for NOS.
If you pick up a set of NOS doors they would be a lot more. The last set I saw in FL. went to Canada for $2k & shipping. This was not sold by a business but by an individual & purchased by an individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor