It's Memorial Day

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You are talking to different people than me apparently.
Absolutely. There are loads of veterans here in Shitty City. In fact when I was in basic 90% of my company was from NY and Chicago. [I was born in Chicago so we clicked] and they were 99% draftees. There were a few guys from small towns, but not many. So because of the large populations in the big cities it only stands to reason that the majority of draftees came from those places. Me and a guy from Florida had the longest hair but that is another story. Even when I worked in the Post Office I was surrounded by veterans from WW2 to OIF. So here in Shitty City you are very likely to live and work with veterans and their families are prone to serve. NYC is a funny place. People will ignore you all day long, but when the shiznit hits the fan they will step right up and do the right thing. I have seen it firsthand over and over again. We have lots of Memorial Day services and our Veteran's Day parade is the biggest in the country. Yet, no one flies the flag when they should. Baffling.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Memorial Day is also Fleet Week here in Shitty City. The Admiral once said 'NYers are the best. They never let our people pay for anything.' As it should be.
96fd869b56f8b27389faf8a8c1142f6c.jpg
372ca036670eca937bd1dade2dc64f1a.jpg
8c33d23b6001d4c647dbacd521f84496.jpg
5639149c289cec76192bbb5e6779cab4.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
FYI, went to the local parade this morning. For the first time in quite a few years there were people on both sides of the road. Families with young kids. Older folks. Lots of groups marching. The group of vets from the VFW was really small. Later on I saw one of the members I know and he said a lot of the old timers cant walk the whole distance so some opted to ride in the firetrucks. The parade ends with a service at the local cemetery,
Hopefully this will get better again next year ! I think my FB post shamed a few people into going. I dont care. LOL

350120472_924369482177545_3345376279245906795_n.jpg

350127534_579788930929176_8573894438035999817_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
There certainly is a lot of people that are garbage. Today one of the churches in a small town near us had an ATV ride with about 30 buggies. 3 hours through our beautiful country. ALL age groups rode. It was awesome. Surprising amount of people came out of their house to see us and wave flags. I am not a super sensitive person(as I deal with some pretty nasty folks) but I was thinking of what is going on in our world and before we said a prayer we sang the The National Anthem under the flying American flag. For the life of me I could hardly get through it without choking up. Here are the lyrics in case you forgot. God Bless America all.

The Star-Spangled Banner​

O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O’er the ramparts we watch’d were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
’Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov’d home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with vict’ry and peace may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv’d us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - “In God is our trust,”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor