Jeep 4.7 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve you should know about Jips you have had a few. They only get worse!! My daughter has a 2012 Liberty and the first week we had it, it threw codes. The new ones almost make the cranky old ones seem not so bad- and that is just sad.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I do know a little about the Jips Mark and the more I learn the scareder I get. The reason why I was looking for a V8 was that the fuel milage was about the same as the 4.0 but it has more power. I don't mind have less power if the reliability factor is better. I do not like throwing money at a vehicle I am just driving to get from A to B and maybe the beer store once in a while. I was looking at the 2005 and up since it has the independent front suspension but I'm not sure about if there are more problems with the electronics than the previous 99 to 04 version.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You are correct the suspension is light years ahead of our old clunkers. But the electronica are just scary. A $13 ABS wheel sensor caused a code for a $500 ABS module "internal failure". The rear disc brakes are a headache too.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I would consider a 05+ 5.7 hemi grand cherokee, but avoid the 4.7 like a plague. It's 25 to 125hp more and the engines aren't total trash. Dad bought a 04 4.0 grand cherokee specifically because its the last year to get a 4.0. It's a bit rough riding, but reliable and cheap.

Have you looked into a 04-08ish 5.3 rainier, saab 9-7x, envoy or trailblazer? I love mine and they are pretty cheap these days. When I got mine 4 yrs ago for 2G wrecked and had 1500 fixing it it was pretty cheap but you can get them now for about 2500 without a ton of work required. With the 5.3 they get good power and knock down high teens highway and it's GM so you don't have to deal with weird electronics. Only common issue is front diff when they go are tough to replace and the air compressors and airbags fail. Otherwise mine has just shy of 240k on it and is just starting to rust out. If that was a pickup it would have no rockers or bedsides.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would consider a 05+ 5.7 hemi grand cherokee, but avoid the 4.7 like a plague. It's 25 to 125hp more and the engines aren't total trash. Dad bought a 04 4.0 grand cherokee specifically because its the last year to get a 4.0. It's a bit rough riding, but reliable and cheap.

Have you looked into a 04-08ish 5.3 rainier, saab 9-7x, envoy or trailblazer? I love mine and they are pretty cheap these days. When I got mine 4 yrs ago for 2G wrecked and had 1500 fixing it it was pretty cheap but you can get them now for about 2500 without a ton of work required. With the 5.3 they get good power and knock down high teens highway and it's GM so you don't have to deal with weird electronics. Only common issue is front diff when they go are tough to replace and the air compressors and airbags fail. Otherwise mine has just shy of 240k on it and is just starting to rust out. If that was a pickup it would have no rockers or bedsides.

I'm not interested in the 5.7 hemi and as far as the GM, Chevy and Buick trucks I loath the interiors even more than the exteriors. I'll stick with finding the 99 to 04 Grand Cherokee LTD with the 4.0 and select trak transmission...

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor