Jeg's, Summit, Hearththrob Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I've recommended Jeg's G-body dual exhaust conversion kits in the past. I noticed Summit now sells a nearly-identical kit. My kit is still in the box after a number of years, but installation is imminent. I looked at the kit instructions for both Jeg's and Summit and discovered that both kits have Monte-Carlo-style exits under the rear bumper. I am unsure if this design will work on my wagon due to the tire well and fuel tank.

I was searching for kits for another project, and tracked down Hearthtrob exhaust in Minnesota. Mike exchanged a few emails with me and I learned that Hearthrob designed the dual kit. He claims they used to make the Jeg's kit, then Jeg's reverse-engineered the system and it is now made in the Far East. However, Heartthrob still makes the Summit kit. Full mandrel bends. Unsure of fit-up, but I recommend those considering the conversion consider Made in the USA if they have the choice...

Finally, I asked Mike if he can make mandrel-bent behind-the-wheel (stock) tailpipes to retrofit the Jeg's kit I already have. I want the slash cut exhaust tips with one little flat on the top, just like the General made thirty years ago. He says he can make anything if I am willing to prototype them and send them to him to model and program into his benders. He says 2-piece tailpipes will be cheaper to ship, so I will have to see where the bend goes, and whether I can cut the Jeg's pipe and just weld a different extension on it. Maybe Summit would then offer both versions for sale.

So, I would be interested to now if anyone else would be interested in such a pair of pipes. Should fit all G-bodies, sedan, coupe, wagon, and Elky.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I run Heartthrob on my car for I think 5 years now. Great fit, good price good to deal with

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Id like a 3" system (like pypes) but in mild steel and BOP style behind the rear wheels. Nobody else makes a 3" mandrel kit.

I've got a 3" single shot 4th gen kit in my firebird and like it. Went there expecting a kit to be on hand but they didnt have one. Literally bent one while I waited and out the door. Was very affordable too. Just basic aluminized but its 5-6 years old now and has been in quite a bit of snow/salt. Very little if any surface rust.

Cheap!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680146-nm/overview/year/1985/make/pontiac/model/grand-prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor