Joke of the day

Soon as i learned that the hull had been made from Titanium and carbon-fiber composite I just had to shrug. The Rooskies proved the value of titanium in their subs decades ago. That said, no one to my knowledge has ever tested the effects of cold and extreme pressure on the integrity of a carbon fiber panel, never mind a shaped construction. No disagreement that the stuff is both strong and durable, but would point out that those characteristics apply to material being used on land at standard/normal atmospheric pressures. Anyone out there got a ball park figure for the number of atmospheres that were pressing on that hull as it got deeper and closer to the grave of the Titanic.

Me, I think it was just the wreck exacting some payback for all the unwanted visitors that have been showing up and stealing stuff from its hulk..

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Soon as i learned that the hull had been made from Titanium and carbon-fiber composite I just had to shrug. The Rooskies proved the value of titanium in their subs decades ago. That said, no one to my knowledge has ever tested the effects of cold and extreme pressure on the integrity of a carbon fiber panel, never mind a shaped construction. No disagreement that the stuff is both strong and durable, but would point out that those characteristics apply to material being used on land at standard/normal atmospheric pressures. Anyone out there got a ball park figure for the number of atmospheres that were pressing on that hull as it got deeper and closer to the grave of the Titanic.

Me, I think it was just the wreck exacting some payback for all the unwanted visitors that have been showing up and stealing stuff from its hulk..

Nick
I saw a reel where a train car oil tanker imploded @ 1 atmospheric pressure. It said the Titan (@ the depth it was at) would have been at/near 375 atmospheric pressure.

• Agree
OKay, that seems to remind of a Myth Busters Segment where they tried to implode a rail tanker car by evacuating the air out of it. Took a try or two but they did manage to accomplish their goal.

To be absolutely fair, they did cheat just a little by using a section of Jersey barrier dropped from above to hedge their chances of success.

And they do make one important point during the post mortem, that being all it took to cause the tank to ultimately implode was the damage they did. That in mind, any un-noticed damage or unsuspectef flaws in the structure of the hull would produce about the same result, only more dramatic and catastrophic due to the location and extreme pressure present.

Nick

• Wow
That's what I've been wondering, what exact depth it was at.

Not sure the exact depth, but you're familiar with the concept of rapid compression creating heat, like a turbocharger does, then you can only imagine how much heat comes from applying 5500psi to everything in that thing the very instant it let go. Supposedly hotter than the surface of the sun, not to mentioning goo-ifying everything inside before incinerating it. It all happened faster than our brains can process sight and sound.

Which would have been a blessing and mercy to those aboard. Fast as you assert the event to have been, there would not have evern been time for an "OH S***" moment to occur. Our federal news has been offering some sound bytes that, along with the debris that was salvaged, they brought up some remains as well. The whole mess is in port at Halifax, In Nova Scotia on the east coast, waiting for the bureaucraps to finish butting heads on who gets what. The US Navy has a vessel there and they want to transfer the salvage and whatever else over to her ASAP.

Nick

Very familiar, I know physics. Compressing all that volume with that much force on all sides in about 3 milliseconds (.003 seconds), yup that's going to generate some heat. Anything there got squeezed and cooked. And no, they didn't feel a thing, human neurological system works in like 100 milliseconds at best, so 33 times slower than what happened. They were dead and pink mist before the brain could even feel it.

The human remains part I find hard to believe honestly.

Actually there is a video ( YouTube) on that very thing and the safety dynamics that where skipped. The hill was something like 5” thick on the carbon fiber. Guess everyone and their brother has a thing on it now though.