BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I haven't put a ton of thought into the trans yet, but I think it's hard to go wrong with a well built TH350. A TH350 with a 2500 stall converter and 3.73s or 3.42s would pair nicely with the cam and and the head work. I have the name of a shop that is supposed to be reasonable and good with older stuff, so I could get the one I have rebuilt or otherwise buy a TCI Street fighter or similar.

A stick would be cool, but I believe Buicks with manuals used a different crankshaft, and there is nowhere for the pilot bushing to go on engines that came with automatics.
The sbb 350 cranks (maybe 455 to, not that it matters), were only drilled if it was 100% going to go into a stick car. however, both of my engines (the '70 SP and my 76 two barrel motor) have the ball stud hole thing on the side already threaded. You could always get another same year crank (68-74 stud/nut rods have a lighter crank because the rods are lighter than the 75-80 capscrew rod motors) and have it drilled. it should be close enough in balance (buicks are externally balanced) to just pop in. Might get lucky and just find one that is already drilled.

Nov 4, 2012
If you're just doing a TH350 you should build it yourself. No special tools and you're more than capable.

That's a good idea. It'd save me some cash and I'd know it was done right.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Fun fact: i live 36 minutes from Quick Performance. :p

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Upon learning that MrSony's Buick is in poor health, I figured I better get an update to restore some faith to the Buick folks. So I stopped by the machine shop today and got an update. Mike did some of the final work to the heads, he shortened the guides to proper length and honed them. He machined the exhaust and intake faces of the heads true. From there he and Bob mocked them onto the motor to check the fitment of the intake after machining the intake faces of the heads true. It fit much better this time, so I won't have to have the intake itself milled. It still will probably need a bit of RTV just to be safe. Also because I'm putting 76 heads on a 72 block, the coolant passages are slightly different. The later heads have two coolant passages in the middle of the head that the '72 doesn't have. So Mike bored them out and is going to press plugs in them. Next I've gotta get the intake bolts blasted and I'm going to get a black oxide kit to recoat them. Sorry nothing is really picture worthy, but since this thread is way overdue for pictures, I downloaded some random images from the internet that you guys should like- :mrgreen:

View attachment 113208 View attachment 113209 View attachment 113210 View attachment 113211
Mmmmmm Kate Upton

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

• In Love
Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Sorry, haven't been to the machine shop since the last update. I've been off work since Wednesday mostly doing work around the house, trying to get the yard and gardens in order and also playing Smokey and the Bandit with the Ferd.

You may resume the b**bs now :)

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor