BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Things went about as smooth as they could have over the rental property this morning. Took me about 5 hours to finish up the plumbing and clean up my mess. It's no longer an urgent matter, and I'm just glad to have it taken care of.
I didn't bother starting on the chicken coop today, that may be a job for next week.

But I actually did accomplish a few things for the Regal. I got both of the alternator brackets painted and a more thorough coat of paint on the power steering pump parts. The pump is ready to be reassembled and installed and the alternator is ready to go on. I have to get some hardware but that's no big deal. It may seem like a small step but now I can get the accessories on as well as all the belts and pulleys.

View attachment 122350 View attachment 122349

I also posted a wanted ad on V8Buick for some cast aluminum valve covers. If no one responds by next week I'll just buy them from TA.

Here's the chickens. Started with 5, 4 wound up being roosters (my luck) so i had to give away 3 roosters. Now I've got one rooster and one pullet. I'm going to get two or three more pullets after I get a coop built.

View attachment 122348
Member those ebay covers I linked? They say Buick on them, the TA covers no longer do, just TA performance. They still look neat, but the Buick ones look dope...er.

Have to drill out oil fill and breather holes. Remember, Buick 350s have the PCV in the intake, and the oil fill and crank case vent are both in the driver's valve cover in '70+ applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Member those ebay covers I linked? They say Buick on them, the TA covers no longer do, just TA performance. They still look neat, but the Buick ones look dope...er.

Have to drill out oil fill and breather holes. Remember, Buick 350s have the PCV in the intake, and the oil fill and crank case vent are both in the driver's valve cover in '70+ applications.

I honestly forgot about those. They look pretty good too.

I tinkered around this morning. I put the power steering pump and the alternator on. I still have to go back and double check that everything is tight.

IMG_20190902_121437438-2137x1603.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Neat.
Question: did you have your guy surface the exhaust ports on the heads and/or the manifolds? Buick never used gaskets, so they gotta be flat or you'll crack them. or if you look at em weird. fart too hard. identify them by the wrong pronouns. I got some of them remflex graphite gaskets. Pretty dope. Not reusable. Expensive at ~$40 a pop, but I'd get 2 sets. DiecastMuscleCars.com can hook you up with factory style bolts, or just make sure you get bolts that are at least 1/8 longer than all your stock bolts. Gotta go in as deep as the bolt is round and you'll be good. Only the top row of holes aren't blind, so you can get away with some extra length ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) on those.

engine is really shaping up. little bits here and there, next thing you know you'll be wondering how fast it is from here to there, how much HP it makes to the ground, etc. You'll be surprised just how grunty it is around town.

Nov 4, 2012
Neat.
Question: did you have your guy surface the exhaust ports on the heads and/or the manifolds? Buick never used gaskets, so they gotta be flat or you'll crack them. or if you look at em weird. fart too hard. identify them by the wrong pronouns. I got some of them remflex graphite gaskets. Pretty dope. Not reusable. Expensive at ~$40 a pop, but I'd get 2 sets. DiecastMuscleCars.com can hook you up with factory style bolts, or just make sure you get bolts that are at least 1/8 longer than all your stock bolts. Gotta go in as deep as the bolt is round and you'll be good. Only the top row of holes aren't blind, so you can get away with some extra length ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) on those.

engine is really shaping up. little bits here and there, next thing you know you'll be wondering how fast it is from here to there, how much HP it makes to the ground, etc. You'll be surprised just how grunty it is around town.

The head side has been resurfaced, the manifold side hasn't. I'm sure Bob would have no problem making a quick pass on the manifolds with the mill to true them up. I haven't closely inspected the manifolds for cracks yet but I'm pretty sure I can make one good set from the two pairs. I have to get them bead blasted and I'm going to coat them with slip plate. I may still use the Remflex gaskets to be safe.

Bit by bit it's coming along. I'm trying to put together a list of exactly what needs done to get it in the car and turn the key. I'll probably have an update with that soon.

Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also: do use a 350 starter. A v6 starter will work fine, but they tend to explode. :/
Also read a 90s LT1 starter fits but you gotta buy some bolts. Look it up on v8buick.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I'm just going to get a new V8 starter. I have a core.

I decided I'm going to get picky about hardware and ordered a set of ARP water pump and timing cover bolts. I also got factory style power steering bolts and alternator bolts from diecastmusclecars.com. Eventually I'll order the exhaust manifold bolts from them too. I put the crank pulley into my Evapo-Rust and I'll let it soak a couple days then paint it.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
My ARP bolts came in the mail today. I love ARP stuff. I haven't heard anything from diecast muscle cars yet. Hopefully he gets my stuff out in the mail soon.

IMG_20190905_185235805_BURST000_COVER_TOP-1603x2137.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My ARP bolts came in the mail today. I love ARP stuff. I haven't heard anything from diecast muscle cars yet. Hopefully he gets my stuff out in the mail soon.

View attachment 122719
With my TA cover the bolt holes that weren't blind were, so I had to get shorter bolts. Be weary of that.

Nov 4, 2012
With my TA cover the bolt holes that weren't blind were, so I had to get shorter bolts. Be weary of that.

Bob made my timing cover extra special so I don't have to worry about it ;)

I heard from Todd at diecast muscle cars and he said my order is shipped.

Reactions: 6 users
Nov 4, 2012
My bolts from diecast muscle cars came today so I spent some time installing them. I did the alternator bracket bolts, power steering bolts and the fuel pump bolts. I used the ARP kit for the water pump. I'm not going to replace all the timing cover bolts since they are already painted and they are the original grade 8s anyways. So I have a few spare ARP bolts for whatever odds and ends I might need them for. I think it looks much better. I'm sure I've said it before but janky and/or mismatched hardware is a peeve of mine.

IMG_20190907_164905912-2137x1603.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor