JUNKYARD G- BODY FINDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I live in the deep south and in my town, there are literally dozens of G-Bodies driving around. Most of them are "in the works" but all would be considered excellent candidates for projects (like 80% plus cosmetic and obviously, at least running and driving). Also, I sometimes drive through out of the way neighborhoods and see a lot of almost completely rust free sitters that don't run. If transportation to the buyer wasn't such an issue, I would be tempted to buy and sell a few of them.

Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If transportation to the buyer wasn't such an issue, I would be tempted to buy and sell a few of them.
Transport's not the problem, the problem is that people don't want to pay for it. For reasons that escape my logic, so many will patch together a rusty mess, but are not willing to pay for transportation, and often wind up spending more on a rustbucket

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Transport's not the problem, the problem is that people don't want to pay for it. For reasons that escape my logic, so many will patch together a rusty mess, but are not willing to pay for transportation, and often wind up spending more on a rustbucket
Yes & no.....

Buying something off the net w/o seeing it in person & then paying to have it shipped can bite you in the arse badly. Paying for a rust free donor or body to save $$ on rust repairs is smart if that's what you're actually buying. But more than one has purchased a 'rust free' vehicle from the South that was not rust free.

I was looking @ trucks on C-list yesterday (64-90's chevys) & came across a "minimal rust" '66 w/the 'original patina sheet metal'. I could clearly see rust @ every point these trucks are none for. Zooming in it was clear to me my definition of minimal was completely different vs the seller. I would feel awful for someone up North if they bought it for the stupid high asking price (because it's a Southern vehicle w/minimal rust), pay to get it transported, only to receive a truck that has the exact same areas needing to be repaired (just not as bad). This example I'm describing..... The seller was asking for $15k.... The truck was non-running &. had obvious panels replaced w/others (underside of hood; grille; one door, & tail gate had different colors) w/old color matched paint on top. It 'looked' like an old original patina truck, but it's actually an old truck that's patched together not worth more than $1500.

I would only but & transport from someone verified/vested in some form or fashion.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
What you
Yes & no.....

Buying something off the net w/o seeing it in person & then paying to have it shipped can bite you in the arse badly. Paying for a rust free donor or body to save $$ on rust repairs is smart if that's what you're actually buying. But more than one has purchased a 'rust free' vehicle from the South that was not rust free.

I was looking @ trucks on C-list yesterday (64-90's chevys) & came across a "minimal rust" '66 w/the 'original patina sheet metal'. I could clearly see rust @ every point these trucks are none for. Zooming in it was clear to me my definition of minimal was completely different vs the seller. I would feel awful for someone up North if they bought it for the stupid high asking price (because it's a Southern vehicle w/minimal rust), pay to get it transported, only to receive a truck that has the exact same areas needing to be repaired (just not as bad). This example I'm describing..... The seller was asking for $15k.... The truck was non-running &. had obvious panels replaced w/others (underside of hood; grille; one door, & tail gate had different colors) w/old color matched paint on top. It 'looked' like an old original patina truck, but it's actually an old truck that's patched together not worth more than $1500.

I would only but & transport from someone verified/vested in some form or fashion.
What you say is true but that's not what I am talking about. I see guys up North by cars for $1500 to $4500 as project cars and nobody down here would touch them for $300. What I'm saying is that someone from down here, who knows G-Bodies, could find decent cars by actually going to where they are and touching/looking at them. If they are decent and the price is right, you document with pics, records (if any), etc. Making sure that the car has a clean title, you post them on the forum for people to look at. Someone sees what they want and calls about the car. So the guy who finds the car gets a finder/research fee and the Northern buyer gets a car for the same money they are paying now for VERY marginal cars but they end up with something solid to work with.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
What you

What you say is true but that's not what I am talking about. I see guys up North by cars for $1500 to $4500 as project cars and nobody down here would touch them for $300. What I'm saying is that someone from down here, who knows G-Bodies, could find decent cars by actually going to where they are and touching/looking at them. If they are decent and the price is right, you document with pics, records (if any), etc. Making sure that the car has a clean title, you post them on the forum for people to look at. Someone sees what they want and calls about the car. So the guy who finds the car gets a finder/research fee and the Northern buyer gets a car for the same money they are paying now for VERY marginal cars but they end up with something solid to work with.
Sounds like a great idea if someone could control the variables, had the time to do the necessary investigative legwork, & was compensated commensurately.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Yard trip today, Woodstock IL again. In the past week they took in a 78’ El Camino (factory LM1 350) and a 85’SS. The SS was mostly stripped within a few days, took what little was left. The LeMans wagon and 78’ GP they had a month ago are both crushed out. The GP wasn’t there all that long.

First pic of the SS is what they posted on Wednesday on their FB page

Attachments

• 439A977D-4577-4FC4-AA61-1B8EB47E2F80.jpeg
    439A977D-4577-4FC4-AA61-1B8EB47E2F80.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 92
  • FF607F45-AE59-4900-BE6A-85E445DF4AD5.jpeg
    FF607F45-AE59-4900-BE6A-85E445DF4AD5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 90
  • A30F6296-D5EB-4563-8D30-442F0EBA687A.jpeg
    A30F6296-D5EB-4563-8D30-442F0EBA687A.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 96
  • 028FC802-C46F-4779-B643-8E75DFB15905.jpeg
    028FC802-C46F-4779-B643-8E75DFB15905.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 52C15D9D-A487-423C-BB7C-CF87C4FAA060.jpeg
    52C15D9D-A487-423C-BB7C-CF87C4FAA060.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
  • EF2A6CEE-093C-4582-8065-456273AD2821.jpeg
    EF2A6CEE-093C-4582-8065-456273AD2821.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
What you

I know of many guys that do it with another of the big three. Plus guys collecting from overseas buy those cars.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
There is a guy in northern Rhode Island that is listed on Craigslist that is a wear house of parts for G bodies.

G - Body Jim! His place is 15 minutes from my house. Purchased a passenger door, full dashboard and a brand new steering column from him. Great place. Parts are filed like its a library, neat and orderly.

Cool! How is his pricing? Been seeing his inventory, but am 2+ hrs away (one way) in NH.
if he was a little closer(or needed something REALLY bad) i would've been there already,I've been seeing it for years.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I live in the deep south and in my town, there are literally dozens of G-Bodies driving around. Most of them are "in the works" but all would be considered excellent candidates for projects (like 80% plus cosmetic and obviously, at least running and driving). Also, I sometimes drive through out of the way neighborhoods and see a lot of almost completely rust free sitters that don't run. If transportation to the buyer wasn't such an issue, I would be tempted to buy and sell a few of them.
What is considered 'deep' South?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor