Just GUNK'd the motor, now it won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
maybe you liquid locked the motor. just let the water drain pass the rings into the crankcase. should be good then.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I bet you have a crappy ground or wire at or near the starter. Use a set of jumper cables as a ground and hot to the starter, turn the key on to run and then hit the hot post on the battery with the jumper cable

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
He washed all the dirt and oil away that was causing a really good ground 😅

• Agree

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So it does crank, then stops. Do this, turn your headlights on, have someone watch the lights while you try to crank the car. If they dim, all of your connections are ok. If they go out, you have bad connections or a bad battery.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I tried again this morning and it won't start but the starter was clicking like it was bad or not getting juice. So I'm betting this is a starter issue, and probably a bad connection. I'll have to wait till after this storm, expecting 18 inches by tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.

Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
So it does crank, then stops. Do this, turn your headlights on, have someone watch the lights while you try to crank the car. If they dim, all of your connections are ok. If they go out, you have bad connections or a bad battery.
The starter starts to click, then just dies. All other electrical functions work. The battery is new.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor