Just installed heads on 350, is there a way to check seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I am in the process of building a ZZ430 clone motor. For those who haven't seen this, it is a ZZ4 crate motor with fast burn heads and lt4 hotcam. Anyhow, I have just installed the fast burn heads. I have not installed the pushrods or rocker arms yet. However, before installing the motor in the vehicle, is there a way to check that the headgasket sealed properly, i.e. via compression or something of that nature? This is my first time bolting heads on and while I am confident about the procedure I followed, I would also like to play it safe. I'd hate to button it up, install everything in the car, only to find out it didn't seal properly. I ended up using ARP head bolts torqued at 70ft lbs per the instructions. I went in three passes at 25, 50, and then 70.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Re: Just installed heads on 350, is there a way to check sea

Don't think you can do a compression test cause you have to crank the engine over to build compression. You could probably do a leakdown test with an air compressor in each cylinder. Do this test before you put the rockers and pushrods on to make sure the valves aren't open. Good luck.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA

Put a vacuum gauge in the spark plug hole with each cylinder on TDC. If it holds vacuum, your good. Then just go down the line.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

I agree about doing a leakdown test. Otherwise, it sounds like you did everything to the letter. You gotta have confidence... :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Longroof79 said:
it sounds like you did everything to the letter. You gotta have confidence... :)

x2

what part number are the fast burn heads...I've been looking for the 19300955 heads

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi

Prime the engine while it is out of the car if you already haven't. Lot easier to check - fix leaks out of the car.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL

pontiacgp said:
Longroof79 said:
it sounds like you did everything to the letter. You gotta have confidence... :)

x2

what part number are the fast burn heads...I've been looking for the 19300955 heads

Yes, those are the heads I went with. The original Lt4 hotcam kit comes with springs that are rated to .525 lift as well as the old fast burn 298 heads. I didn't like that the springs were rated exactly what the lift would be(with 1.6:1 rockers). The new 955(new fast burn part number) heads use the ls6 valve springs now which are rated to max lift of .550, which gives me a little peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor