Keeping it stock...305 options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
you are better off applying everything they did to a larger engine
This is true, but if that's the case, then why do people drive 4- and 6-cylinder cars? If you put a turbo on a 4-cylinder, it will make more power, but so will putting one on a V8, so why bother with the 4-cylinder? Maybe it's because that's what they want to do? The OP stated he made up his mind about a 305, and didn't want to hear the regular "just drop a 350 in it", why not just let him do the car the way he wants to?

As far as there being "no more work to switch from a 305 to a 350", correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all 78-88 MC's use the CCC quadrajet system? So wouldn't you have to get all different sensors made for a 305 and then have the computer re-flash? Granted, if he went with a hot enough cam, he would have to re-flash the computer anyway, but mild enough shouldn't need to do anything.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Shouldn't ccc only handles the primaries of the qjet and distributor advance. Guys run 403s on stock 307 ecms as for throwing turbos on 4 bangers. Not just ANY engine will do, so that's apples and oranges

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Not all '78-'88 Monte Carlos (or A/G bodies for that matter), used the CCC system, at least not here in Canada. Most of them did not have any type of computer controls. Even if the car does have CCC, a larger engine can be installed, using the same sensors. The computer chip may need to be upgraded, and the carb richened up a bit, but it is entirely possible to run an engine larger than the 305 using the CCC system.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
What exactly is the CCC system? Being that he is driving a 79' MC, I doubt there is a computer. My 80 bu had its 305 and no computer controls at all. It was just a standard quadrajet. I don't think computers became real common until after 81'.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I was ponderring the same. Had a 79 231 that was ccc and an 80 toro that was not people tend to give the ccc too much credit. It really doesn't do much. Some primary adjustments and distributor advance. EFI it is NOT! Mods rarely affect it

torjan

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2009
Germany, upper Bavaria
everytime the same questions ;)
i'm in the position but gladly no CCC cause of a swiss export modell.
i found the following way before a 350 swap, which is a probleme cause of the tax-laws here (more cui more tax ~26€ per 0,1l per year) and the gasprices 1,35€ per liter and the TUEV

i'm going the way, new remanufactured Rochester (with the right set of jet and rods for my setup), new distributor (trying to find right ecurve and inital timing) (cable and sparks too :) ), new intake (but thinking it not helped so much ;) with new AGR and PVS) some bigger manifolds (62er corvette ramhorns, not installed atm, with a 2x2,5" exhaust)

thats all parts i can use if i'm tired with the LG4 and would do the 350 or 400 step (if the car is 30 years old the tax changes)

an option is getting another reargear too, changed from 2,29 to 2,73 and the car feels a bit more alive but with a higher rpm and more gasconsumption.

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
There are stroker kits made for the 305s, That would give you a few more cubic inches and keep the tax man in the dark because its still a 305 block :D

torjan

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2009
Germany, upper Bavaria
the problem with all the "make hp with a 305" is that you'll have much of rpm.
i think the most of us 305er cruiser ;) want more torque in the lesser rpm. like a diesel engine or tractor.
an additional prob with lots of HP and torque is, whats with the drivetrain and the tires, using 205 WSW allweather with 300Hp makes no sense.

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
305's a good motor. I said I would do the 350 swap once the 305 craters but it wont die, even driving it 3200 RPM everywhere I go. I did the 305 because it was what I had 2 of to work with to start off so parts were plentiful. Looking back I would do it again.
I can get 18mpg out of my 8000lb truck with that motor.Kind of has the characteristics of a circle track racer motor with good responsiveness in the higher RPM's but a lack of torque right off the get go. in a fullsize truck it's not underpowered untill you put a load on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor