Key Release Lever Questions

Feb 17, 2016
Background information: I'm using a 1983 S10 tilt unit and a 1983 Cutlass floor shift tilt unit for this project.

For those that have added the key release lever for their manual transmission setup, is it 100% necessary to use the S10 upper mast on the G-Body lower mast? I ask as it seems the only difference is extra material to prevent the plastic collar from rotating. I have a donor non-tilt tube that cutting material from to form this should be quite easy.

Using the S10 upper mast seems like it would shorten the overall steering column, bringing the steering wheel approximately 5/8" closer to the dash.

The ignition starter switch mounted to the steering column seems to be identical to the G-body location. They even share the same part number. The headlight switch that mounts on top of the ignition starter switch actually has identical rods between the two units I have. I will start to build the column in a temporary manner to verify my assumptions, but wondering if anyone else has completed this conversion without changing the upper masts.

Attachments

• IMG_6621[1].JPG
    IMG_6621[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6624[1].JPG
    IMG_6624[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm guessing you're going automatic shifter on the floor. The key release isn't needed for this application as the shifter bowl going into the park position will release key. Both the column & floor shift units work this way. An easier way to achieve what you want is to take the column shift column & grind off the shifter mount ears & fill in with a plug then use some body filler to smooth it out. Won't have the worry to reengineer a S10 manual transmission column for a A/G floor shift auto.

Feb 17, 2016
I'm guessing you're going automatic shifter on the floor. The key release isn't needed for this application as the shifter bowl going into the park position will release key. Both the column & floor shift units work this way. An easier way to achieve what you want is to take the column shift column & grind off the shifter mount ears & fill in with a plug then use some body filler to smooth it out. Won't have the worry to reengineer a S10 manual transmission column for a A/G floor shift auto.
No, I'm running a 5-speed manual transmission. I'm using a floor shift column from a Cutlass and a manual transmission column from an S10 to make what I want. I'm invested in the adding the key release leaver from the S10 unit. I'm just looking for feedback whether or not it is 100% necessary to swap the upper masts or if simply welding in the missing features to prevent collar rotation is going to get me the same result.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
No, I'm running a 5-speed manual transmission. I'm using a floor shift column from a Cutlass and a manual transmission column from an S10 to make what I want. I'm invested in the adding the key release leaver from the S10 unit. I'm just looking for feedback whether or not it is 100% necessary to swap the upper masts or if simply welding in the missing features to prevent collar rotation is going to get me the same result.
OK, then I'd suggest getting both a GM S10 service manual & a '79 to '81 GM service manual to have the repair break down to compair the model differences in the column to see what all is needed to swap from a A/G column to aid in getting the S10 column set up if needed.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor