KEY STUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

t t0p shaWdy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2010
hampton VA
my key is in between the lock position and cranking. it goes to the "crank" position but the car doesnt make a sound(replaced battery and alternator*both were shot*) reached my "stopping point"...what is the problem??

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I had the same problem with my cutty, but it happened at a gas pump! The cylinder broke and the key wouldnt turn the car off and I couldnt get the car into any gear. I had to replace the key cylinder after I pulled the wire off the distributor and had the car towed home.

Just for your info....

t t0p shaWdy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2010
hampton VA
bill said:
I had the same problem with my cutty, but it happened at a gas pump! The cylinder broke and the key wouldnt turn the car off and I couldnt get the car into any gear. I had to replace the key cylinder after I pulled the wire off the distributor and had the car towed home.

Just for your info....

soooo all i gotta do is replace the ignition lock cylinder?

78_oldcruiser

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2010
Seven Springs NC
that answer would be correct.... if you need to move it before then you might could try pushing the key in kinda hard and jiggle it as you try to pull it out like it is. if it comes out jiggle it while trying to put it back in. if it goes back in try to turn it off then if not try to turn it back with out the key. but yeah it has to be replaced its shot. ive had that problem with a 72 duster and tried a few things that i stated above and it worked 1 time then never again. just giving advice just incase you had to move that car to get your other car out or something lol

t t0p shaWdy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2010
hampton VA
o ok..will do. i WILL be at advance as soon as they open. THANKS yall.

t t0p shaWdy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2010
hampton VA
& when i get the replacement which way do i go to start the surgery? is the obvious path through the steering wheel or am i wrong?

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
assuming your switch is still good, you just have to take apart the top half of the column, its been a while since I took apart mine to fix the famous tilt steering wobble but I think your gonna need a lock plate removal tool to get to it, and you have to remove the blinker switch, I have to take mine apart again too, I can start my car without a key :shock:

wade

here you go this link helped me big time when I took apart mine.

http://www.superchevy.com/tech/sucp_0707_tilt_steering_column/index.html

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
19cutlass79 said:
assuming your switch is still good, you just have to take apart the top half of the column, its been a while since I took apart mine to fix the famous tilt steering wobble but I think your gonna need a lock plate removal tool to get to it, and you have to remove the blinker switch, I have to take mine apart again too, I can start my car without a key :shock:

wade

here you go this link helped me big time when I took apart mine.

http://www.superchevy.com/tech/sucp_0707_tilt_steering_column/index.html

that's good info thanks :notworthy:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
So what exactly is your problem? Is the key stuck AND the car won't start either?

Are you able to remove the key from the ignition cylinder?

I noticed you have an aftermarket shifter installed. If your key is stuck and you can't get the lock cylinder to rotate all the way back towards you, you may just need to grab the column and turn it by hand so that it will release the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor